Goodbye Apollo.

Well done to the septics for squandering the lead in the race for the highest ground.

Goodbye fair flight

I watched as a child,
those black limned wings, as they first flew,
Carrying a dream to the edge of night.
Bright, beautiful fury that drew,
our awed eyes skyward, and our minds further.
Columbia revived, brave as your namesake.

I watched as a man, those wings, on their last journey.
A dream betrayed and sacrifices made.
Still a fury of light, blurred by tears,
a light made by knowledge and skill,
dimmed by the slow leach of passion.
I would follow that dream still,
let our children see that same light.
Farewell to Discovery, gone is our Challenger,
Our bold Enterprise, is ended
We still are dreaming of Atlantis, and brave Endeavour.
Where now would Columbia sail from, if the land of our dreams,
is lost to us?.

In memory of the Space shuttle, April 12th 1981 - July 20th 2011.

Per Ardua Ad Astra.

Fair enough you shagger, it was a backwards reference.
The last space shuttle flew today.

You knew that anyway, didn't you.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
the race, arguably, was squandered at several points by the sceptics.

firstly when they opted for LOR (lunar orbit rendezvous) for Apollo, rather than a mission staged from an earth-orbiting space station.

secondly when they let the accountants dictate the design of the Shuttle - as someone said, rather than the DC-3 of spaceflight, their costcutting meant the Shuttle ended up as the DC-1 1/2 instead. (which also had a direct effect on safety - budget constraints meant solid rockets for the boosters - with the attendant risks - as the Challenger crew sadly (and completely unecessarily) discovered.)

and thirdly, flying the Shuttle four times and then declaring it operational, when it was anything but - with the loss of two crews, two airframes and all the delays and costs associated with it. Whereas the Sovs plugged away with 60's vintage spacecraft on 50s vintage boosters, and built a knowledge base of living and working in space long term that NASA could only dream of.

the race, arguably, was squandered at several points by the sceptics.

firstly when they opted for LOR (lunar orbit rendezvous) for Apollo, rather than a mission staged from an earth-orbiting space station.

secondly when they let the accountants dictate the design of the Shuttle - as someone said, rather than the DC-3 of spaceflight, their costcutting meant the Shuttle ended up as the DC-1 1/2 instead. (which also had a direct effect on safety - budget constraints meant solid rockets for the boosters - with the attendant risks - as the Challenger crew sadly (and completely unecessarily) discovered.)

and thirdly, flying the Shuttle four times and then declaring it operational, when it was anything but - with the loss of two crews, two airframes and all the delays and costs associated with it. Whereas the Sovs plugged away with 60's vintage spacecraft on 50s vintage boosters, and built a knowledge base of living and working in space long term that NASA could only dream of.
Spotter.

Mags, can we go to the moon?

When I was a small child, I was always wanted to do that. I won a book prize when I was about 8, and asked for a book about Space (not the space in my head - I know that's full of lime jelly).

Can we go, will you teach me clever stuff on the way?

sharing a capsule with Sluggy - truly, in space no one can hear you scream. ;)
You know I am a sponge for absorbing shit facts - we'd be ace in a capsule.

You could teach me all about UFOs and space, and I could sing Glee songs when you trump so the aliens can't hear you.

The shuttle was in no way the vehicle it was plugged to be. It was an expensive white elephant that needed to be rebuilt every time it returned. It is credited with building the ISS, but in fact the shuttle has delayed work on it, leaving the Russians to do most of the transporting of building materials. Yes, a nice idea, but sadly a very expensive and unsafe vehicle.

The shuttle was in no way the vehicle it was plugged to be. It was an expensive white elephant that needed to be rebuilt every time it returned. It is credited with building the ISS, but in fact the shuttle has delayed work on it, leaving the Russians to do most of the transporting of building materials. Yes, a nice idea, but sadly a very expensive and unsafe vehicle.
That's me, you, Mags and Mr Pears on our capsule then.

9781846142932L.jpg

Let's go!

Oh, and I am bringing the dog.

Latest Threads