Good Wax Cotton Jacket for Shooting

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by AlarmClock, Mar 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd like a good Wax Cotton jacket for shooting etc. I've had a look at the Barbour website and they have plenty of coats but they all look the same.

What would you recommend?

ps. I am not called Rupert, have a Volvo or a labrador!

2. Alarmclock

I've been shooting/deerstalking most of my life, and frankly I wouldn't advise a waxed cotton coat of any kind. In my experience they are heavy, cold and do not breath in any way.

For roe stalking, I use an SAS windproof, whilst for other shoooitng in cold weather I have a Barbour cordura jacket, and for warmer weather I use a "Deer Hunter" coat with a breathable liner.

OK, I know the use of service-issue kit for civvy purposes is frowned upon, but my windproof smock is one of the best bits of shooting kit i've ever had - along with many norgies - but the other two coats are excellent.

3. I'm assuming he's an officer, and as such will need to wear tweed, brogues, cords and a tie to compliment his wax jacket.

It's the law.

4. I agree with Plastic squaddie, by far one of the best shooting stalking jacket is the Windproof with a decent fleece / aircrew rollneck underneath.

I never turn up at the range wearing it, that would be sad, but kept in a day sack and not putting it on until yoru detail or your off stalking you will avoid looking a cheddar

5. Reason I ask is I went beating in my civvie GoreTex on the weekend and the brambles tore the fck out of it. Need a coat that would stand up to allsorts, and I don't mean licorice.

Would the cordura be good for that or is wax cotton the best?

Thanks

6. When i go hunting grouse i wear lightweights, pro boots, a norgy shirt and a para smock. If it rains i wear my old CS95 gary goretex. It's good kit, i used it all my adult life when i was in and it does the job now out in the boonies as a civvy. No point in binning good kit just to buy civvy stuff.

7. This guy talks sense.

Despite what I said before about waxproofs - they are probably the best thing if your going through really shite undercover like brambles etc. The Barbour cordura I have would easily take that sort of treatment, but it cost too much! :wink:

If you're not going to organised shoots - i.e. RangeRovers, Labradors and silly accents, use your issue kit - it's still the best.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Gary goretex last forever on a grouse moor. On a sedge bog with Hawthorn and brambles then even my old Barbour durham has been shredded. Lowland beating takes it out of your kit. I still wear my durham because there is little damage left to commit if you know what I mean. The real answer is buy a psycho springer bitch from me and she'll do all the cover that you cant even see through let alone crawl under. My beating involves at least 4 spaniels sometimes 6 and both of my kids. The kids do the flanking with poly flags and the dogs do the cover with me. I also get to be back gun. The £60 + I get in tips covers the dog food, petrol and lads pocket money. Buy a dog get it trained and you'll never be short of good shooting.[​IMG]

9. Yup. I have 2 Gordon Setter bitches. Fantastic bird dogs. A real buzz when you and your dog work well together as a team and a good day in the hills is rewarded with something for sunday lunch! just watch out for the shot or you'll break a tooth :lol:

10. Some of us should met up - I'll show you what a German shorthair can do!

11. Are you a dog, old boy?

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have access to 300 acres in sussex for walked up but if you want you are welcome for a days beating/back gunning next season in Hampshire!

13. Ta for that - maybe nearer the time. Dog is up for it but I'm well past anything beyond walking alongside a lake - on a firm path - on a sunny day - with a good stick - possibly have to be drunk as well.

14. Unfortunately I'm currently dog-less having lost my German Wirehaired Pointer last year, and not yet replaced her.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Plenty of spaniels available!