Good watch for basic training?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by DanJJardim, May 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I start basic training on Jly 7th at Pirbright. I notice on the kit lists Ive seen that it includes a watch with backlight capability.

Was just wondering if anyone has any recomendations for a good one or is it best to get a cheap casio or the like?

Thanks in advance.
    DJ

2. I use a traser code blue.
    Rock solid, does the job, nice and simple with no fcuking about :).
    [​IMG]

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.discount-chronographs.co.uk/traser_images/traser_p6508.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.discount-chronographs.co.uk/p6508codeblue.htm&h=200&w=200&sz=10&hl=en&start=10&um=1&tbnid=Zx_11apuNxsOvM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3DTraser%2BCode%2BBlue%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Don't waste money on it. Buy the cheapest you can get. You are pretty likely to wreck it.

4. there is only one time in the army

thats all you need

5. From an earlier post.

Oh, and make that about 7 years without a battery change, but it does need it now!

6. Casio do a digital G Shock with Stopwatch, world time etc. But two useful features for a Soldier is 1. It's solar powered so never a battery problem and, 2. It's linked to the atomic clocks so it's never wrong and you can never be late! Robust as fcuk too!

7. also covered HERE

8. These are the mutts nutts mate, just make sure you keep your torch at the right 'attitude' when looking at it at night.

And made by Fossil too ...

[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

This is all you need. Water resistance, very dim backlight so you don't blind yourself and shine like a beacon when you check the time in the woods and cheap as chips.

I feel like a casio salesman because every time someone asks, I recommend that.

Forget the G-shocks and the Suuntos. Get 3 of the above and you're sorted for your military career. The next time you buy a watch, it might be nuclear powered.

10. Know the feeling! :roll:

11. Get a G-Shock. I've had mine for about six years now, it's survived trips all over the world, scuba diving below 40m, suffered the general knocks and bangs associated with an adventurous lifestyle, and its great for the Army as it's non-reflective, black, has a stopwatch and all sorts of gucci functions, and is generally unkillable.

12. By all means, after training.

The reason I say so is that there will doubtlessly be a quantity of tea-leaves amongst the lads number in training, so should he be the unfortunate who has a watch nicked, it won't be as bad losing a tenners worth, rather than fifty plus worth.

13. I used one of these and it served me well

[​IMG]

Specially designed to have a secondary use as a siege weapon in the event of the Sun running out.

14. £50? Where did you buy yours? Admittedly, mine was buckshee - y'know some credit card companies do reward points? Well, I got mine with points from an Amex card. Still, think mine only retails for about £20... £30 at most, I'll have a wee shufti, wait out.

15. Or for the really keen...
    1 stop
    2 stop
    3 stop
    OUT!

On the watch front, I use the issue and its fine but with regard to the cheep stuff I once forgot my watch before a big ex (dont ask) and went to Argos and baught the cheepest watch there. It was fine but had no way of telling the time in the dark. Whatever you get, make sure it glows (if analouge) or a backlight function (if digital).