Good vietnam / korean war films

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by recruit7891, Mar 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this has already been done guys.

Can anyone recommend any good films on the Vietnam or Korean wars.
    Have heard there are quite a few for Vietnam around but not sure on which ones are actually worth watching. Also cant seem to find that many for Korea.. i know its the "forgotten war" but there must be some out there.

Cheers

Recruit

2. Vietnam - "The Odd Angry Shot" (Australia 1979)

Actors and scriptwriters on this spent time with the RAR as soldiers. Result is decent skills and drills and use of hand signals (instead of US dialogue) The squaddie humour is well portrayed too.

No spams in it either - result!!

3. If intended for viewing by a recruit, has to be Full Metal Jacket. Up as far as the shooting in barracks will suffice.
    Korean War - don't know if it is available (Amazon?) but Taegukgi (The Brotherhood of War) is very good. Shows things as Koreans saw them

4. Korea - Pork Chop Hill - B&W

5. A hill in Korea, Michael Caines film debut. B and W.

6. In terms of Korean War films

1) Pork Chop Hill
    2) A Hill in Korea (Michael Caine is in it.)
    3) The Hunters (Robert Mitchem is in it)
    4) Bridges over Toka Roi

Vietnam
    1) Odd angry shot
    2) Platoon
    3) Boys of Company C
    4) Hamburger Hill
    5) Full Metal Jacket
    6) Sword of Honour (auuie one)

7. We were Sodiers _ but just so you dont think it was a total hollywood thing, i would suggest you read read the book by Hal Moore ~We were soldiers,once. 1st
    i found it made the film a better watch for me anyway.

8. Not a film as such and actually based on Vietnam not Korea but M*A*S*H is more interesting than most people seem to think

9. Vietnam:

If your after lots of Hollywood "Gung-Ho, kill the zipper-heads up we really won but was robbed and was treated badly when we got home" shite watch just about anything. But If you want an idea what the war was about and like for those who fought it...

Australian view: Odd Angry Shot (1979)
    US View: Go Tell the Spartans (1978)
    French (French Foreign Legion): 317 Platoon (1964)

Best of the 3... hate to say it and unless your a French speaker you'll have to read the sub-titles but the last is by far the best.

Korea:

Pork Chop Hill (1958). Based on the Book by SLA Marshall which is also worth a read.

10. Vietnam:

If your after lots of Hollywood "Gung-Ho, kill the zipper-heads up we really won but was robbed and was treated badly when we got home" shite watch just about anything. But If you want an idea what the war was about and like for those who fought it...

Australian view: Odd Angry Shot (1979)
    US View: Go Tell the Spartans (1978)
    French (French Foreign Legion): 317 Platoon (1964)

Best of the 3... hate to say it and unless your a French speaker you'll have to read the sub-titles but the last is by far the best.

Korea:

Pork Chop Hill (1958). Based on S L A Marshall's book of the real event which is also worth a read.

11. A couple to add to the Vietnam list:

The Seige of Firebase Gloria

84 Charlie Mopic

Two good films, not into the Hollywood type glamour.

As a US Marine, of course, Full Metal Jacket has to be premeire. I remember seeing that movie, in the theatre's, with my wife. During the first 45 odd minutes or so, I was sweating so damn hard. That movie captured the essence of Marine Corps Boot Camp. THE most accurate movie I have ever seen done on it.

Of course, R Lee Ermy, was a US Marine and a former Drill Instructor.

12. Made by a British resident (Stanley Kubrick - born in NY, he moved to UK in 1961 and eventually died here), in Britain (Bassingbourne for part 1, Isle of Dogs for part 2).......

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

And that lovely little range down near Cambridge... I wish they'd left the damn lane markers up...

14. My mum lives 2 miles down the road from bassingbourn, and I've spent years in the barracks doing stuff, and have shot on the ranges just south of cambridge. Didn't notice it was the same place until someone told me last month. Almost fell of my chair in surprise when I watched it again. Spooky.