Good use for ex-MoD ammo boxes

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fireplace, Jul 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't try that in the UK though

According to the Royal Mint. Payment over the following amounts can be refused.

£1+£2 are valid in any amount.

So you would look pretty daft with a couple of ammo boxes full of shrapnel and no one will take it :)
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if they are old pennies though and silver you could just melt it down and cash in.
  3. Steven: Surely that would be a banking regulation <laughter> so why's the Royal Mint getting into the act?
  4. Copper in fact and the US treasury made it an offence to try and stop people doing it.
  5. Because coins and notes are legal tender. If a bank imposed the limits by itself you could argue that they had refused reasonable payment and therefore they could not pursue the debt. By having the Bank of England regulate the maximum amounts the high street banks can legitimate refuse payment above these limits, but you would still owe them the debt.

I don't know how this works with depositing cash into your own account.
  6. I believe that it only applies if you're paying a debt thus there's no problem with traders dropping £3000 in pennies on the bank counter at lunchtime. :roll:

Of particular note is that there's no requirement to give change. Bear this in mind when you dash into the newsagent and hand over a tenner for a Mars bar so that you've some change for the parking meter. The newsagent would be entitled to drop the tenner into the till, say "Thanks" and move onto the next customer.
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Theres some was used as shitters in Phnom Penh.

ammo box shitter.JPG
  8. Hi! How big is your lunchbox?
  9. It holds lots of spam! Lots and lots!
  10. Septic GeoCachers use them a lot for their hides, Kiwis tend to use tupperware as we're all Peaceniks man.
    And our Army hasn't emptied the first one they bought yet.
  11. I wouldn't mind a crate of Mk VII to feed my Enfields. It's been a while.