Good to See Google Maps Are Up to Date

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by JoeCivvie, May 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was looking for somewhere in Hong Kong on Google Maps this morning and spotted this:

[​IMG]

OK, this is the relevant bit

[​IMG]

A secret 'sleeper cell' RAF Station? A bunch of Airmen who weren't told about the hand-over (which was only 15 years ago).

Kai Tak Airport itself closed in 1998 when the new Hong Kong International Airport opened at Chek Lap Kok. The RAF apparently upped-sticks from Kai Tak in 1993.

2. You have too much time on your hands.

3. Au contraire, mon brave.

4. That's nothing, two years ago I cleared an area of Hong Kong of weapons and explosives and made a map of the area by Garmin mapping GPS. According to Garmin Mapsource my cleared area extended 400 metres out to sea on one side. I complained to Garmin and the Garmin helpless desk replied: "Er, yeah, MapSource is not very accurate".

5. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

It's pretty good in a way though. I like to think that someone out there somewhere has been shitting themselves for the last 3 years at the thought that one day his wife will look on Google Street View and see her bloke's car parked round her best mate's house during broad daylight when he's supposed to be 40 miles away at the office...

• Like Like x 2
  6. With all the reclamation they've done here I'm not surprised. The GPS map I use hasn't got the new Stonecutter's Bridge on it, so it looks as though we are flying over the water on the GPS.

Can you say which area it was? And if you're ever back over here and fancy a beer give me a shout.

7. Keep away from him Jim - he has a thing about asian birds

8. Confidential, but PM on the way. Can we meet up in the Old China Hand, next time I am there?

9. Too late! :)

10. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Funnily enough I've seen the google street maps car around here a fair bit looks like the areas/streets are getting updated again.

11. No, you have just demonstrated that you do not know how to use Google Maps.

(Hint: Hover your cursor over the words, once you have read that double click on the words for even more information)