Good time for 5 miles?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by JutStar, May 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 7 minute mile's, but not everybody sticks to that. What is/would be a good time for 5 miles. I can do 3 miles in 20/21 minutes, and i done 5 and half today in 46 minutes. I slacked big time tonight, but anyway discuss please.
  2. hey i dont know what a good time is for 5 miles. But i did 6 miles today in around 50 mins. I have not done any fitness for years and did this i was impressed but still cant run for long without getting knackered about 100 meters them im f**ked. So i do the run and walk method i found this very effective. Any ideas of how to be able to run a 1.5 mile without stopping?
  3. Yes................................Put the effort in and don't stop. You will then crack the badger.
  4. A good time for five miles is forty minutes.
  5. ERRRRR..
    its been a hell of a long time since i have done any serious fitness training..

i think i would take at least two hours to complete that now..
  6. A pretty decent club runner could do 10 miles in < 1 hour, so could do 5 miles in, say, 28 minutes odd. However, they are only built for running - not much upper body strength, wouldn't do too well at tabbing, etc.

I'd say that your 3 miles in 20 minutes is pretty good. For 5 miles, I 'd say you need to do 40 mins or less for a decent time.
  7. 3 cigars, hip flask of brandy....done 1.5 miles in 1 hour..then went into cardiac arrest!!!
  8. This club runner says that 40 minutes for 5 miles is good, but with a bit of effort you should be getting it under 40 minutes.
  9. Odd comment considering that most X Country competitions are won by blokes in Airborne Units, I can crack about 30-33 mins for 5 miles and never had any problem with a bergan on my back and I'm an old scrawny wretch!
  10. On a similar vain, the time for TA selection now for the 1.5 miler is 16 minutes, 16 MINUTES. And we still had one guy fail.

Thank Christ they still need to pass in under 10 min 30 at CIC
  11. I was under the impression that to demonstrate the aerobic fitness of a "recruit" requires a time of 14 minutes for 2.4km, but still.

Ok, it's not pretty, but it's more about effort and attitude than initial condition. Would you rather have someone who could do 9 minutes when they came through the doors, then by the time they get to CIC doing 8:30, or someone who would do 9 minutes but could only manage 14 in the early days.
  12. 16 minutes? wtf? Since when?
  13. Since people decided to make it up as they go along.
  14. Well for one do you work out or even stretch before you go running? i do 80 sit ups and 60 press ups along with a hard stretch out and then get up and go for a run. I could do up to 3-4 miles before i needed to stop, but in which im still working on.
  15. I Have been told that the job career i am going for my run time limit is 14:00 for 1.5

Should not have to much of a problem improving all the time.

Good luck to all