Good Soldiering

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Sheepay, Nov 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now this is not a post from an Old'n'Bold soldier, nor one who professes to be anything special.

However, I have heard many a description (some very good, some quite outlandish) of what makes a good soldier. There must be a decent definition.
    MY favourite is that

'The art of soldiering is being able to make oneself as comfortable, and efficient, under the given circumstances.'

I always quite liked that.

2. Never **** if you can ****

3. If it dosen't move: paint it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you can't eat it or **** it, piss on it and walk away.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Any hole's a goal.

6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I allways thought it was the ability to fire three rounds a minute in any weather.

• Like Like x 2

7. No need to grab your ankles.

• Like Like x 1
  8. What goes on in the showers stays in the showers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Excellent! And my first answer!

But, In a contemporary environment.

What is the sign of a good, young, squaddie. Methinks the idea does not change.

10. Let the fresh meat walk point. :p

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

nope. the ability to keep your shit together, think ahead, improvise adapt and overcome and stand firm are timeless :)

12. The strength of character to close with the enemy, then the strength of body to defeat him, but not the strength of mind to question why.

13. 5 minutes early for any detail, prepared for the evolution to be carried out and with the correct equpment for same.

Either that or sponging around stores, armoury, Coy lines with a ready made reasonable excuse for CSM, 2IC or power mad Lance Jack.

14. One day at a time.