Good Regt / Unit Websites?

We have just moved from 36 Sigs to 6 Regt AAC and the number of enquiries we used to receive through the Regt website was impressive (not fantastic, but worth the effort) - probably 3 or 4 a week.

I'm trying to persuade the powers-that-be within 6 Regt that the website can be a very effective recruiting aid and that the content needs to be 'updated', along with an effective means for potential recruits to get in touch.

So, I'm looking to steal ideas that work - can anyone recommend any good Regt /unit websites?

36's website can be found here:

http://www.army.mod.uk/royalsignals/36sigregt/index.htm

6 Regts here:

http://www.army.mod.uk/aac/units/6regt/index.htm

Has anyone considered doing a Myspace page with a few photos and a link to their unit's official page?

I was thinking that this may be a good way of getting more hits on, and thereby potentially more recruits from our unit web page.

T_T

Myspace page? Good idea. I think the army are probably the only people in the world who don't have a page. The state of unit websites is appalling.

Found this one yesterday and was fecking impressed as I didnt realise the Bn had it in them to produce something of this callibre

3 Royal Anglian

easesprings said:
Found this one yesterday and was fecking impressed as I didnt realise the Bn had it in them to produce something of this callibre

3 Royal Anglian
Just had a look and its a good site from the perspective of content - but its not an official site - I presume there's nothing wrong with creating an unofficial site?

danglydell said:
easesprings said:

3 Royal Anglian
Just had a look and its a good site from the perspective of content - but its not an official site - I presume there's nothing wrong with creating an unofficial site?
I believe unofficial sites are a big no-no

the websites need lots of warry pictures to look at. The 4Para one is good. Internet is definately underated, I know when i joined my first place to look was the internet and then I applied for an info pack not the other way around.

bumpkin1 said:
the websites need lots of warry pictures to look at. The 4Para one is good. Internet is definately underated, I know when i joined my first place to look was the internet and then I applied for an info pack not the other way around.
Downloadable info packs which you have to register your contact details for before you can download them are quite a good idea I've seen on some non-TA related websites. Of course there's probably nothing to stop people just making rubbish up to fill in as contact details but I'd assume that's easily flitered.

Look for inspiration from all around you, young padewan.

7 RIFLES have a good official site - see here. I think it strikes the right balance between warry pics and adequate (but not too much) information for the interested new joiner. Their regimental site is also great in terms of content, albeit a bit "busy" and slightly wonky in layout.

4 PARA's official site is great.

Note that among the things which the 7 RIFLES and 4 PARA websites have in common is that they are kept up-to-date. That is essential. Don't make your site so huge that it becomes impossible to maintain.

The HAC's official site is a bit pants but their unofficial one looks great. The content is a bit jolly-hockey-sticks but then that's what SF-lite is all about, eh? *dodges incoming*

Another unofficial one with great design is that of the Light Dragoons. Keep refreshing their home page for some great use of artwork (the Rifles are good from this perspective, too).

There are other good ones but modesty prevents me from naming them. Just go here and trawl through them.

Bear in mind that a new universal brand style is in the works for the official www.army.mod.uk website. The scope for having an individual regimental look will be much reduced, as the advertising and brand identity Nazis appear to be winning (indeed the colours of the site will be red, black, sand, white and silver). So be prepared for your hard work to be undone pretty soon.

bumpkin1 said:
Exactly why I'm pushing the 'net as a good starting place for new recruits. I know that when I started, the TAC was a very daunting place - I was a bit whimp-ish and didn't want to rock-up and say 'Hello, I'd like to join'. Offering potential recruits the opportunity to see what its all about along with the option to register their details with no obligation is a big plus.

At the risk of turning this into a my-units-website-is-better-than-yours sort of parade here is my unit's and I reckon it holds its own:
Westminster Dragoons

Certainly by looking at all the aforementioned websites you'll be able to get a good idea of some of the possibilities open to you.

Dr_Evil said:
There are other good ones but modesty prevents me from naming them.
Luckily I'm not so modest!

wellyhead said:
danglydell said:
easesprings said:

3 Royal Anglian
I believe unofficial sites are a big no-no
Yea they are not sure what this website is???? I got the link off a user on this site If you Google 3 R Anglian it brings up this Link

But as the one I first mentioned it has a space for CO Blog it must be official. However further down on Google the following link appears with the following statement:

[/quote]3 Royal AnglianThe (Currently) un-official website of the 3rd Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment. 3rd Battalion are a territorial army (TA) unit within the British Army.
www.3royalanglian.org.uk/ - 9k - Cached - Similar pages
[/quote]

easesprings said:
But as the one I first mentioned it has a space for CO Blog it must be official.
Although the CO hasn't actually blogged....

Its a good idea though, but maybe not the best to have the CO blogging - wouldn't it be better to get the lads to put their thoughts on the recruit process, training, exercises, tours etc (but you don't want the likes of Pte Pile having free reign; there would need to be some form of editing before it goes live)

Dr_Evil has a point about the New www.Army.mod.uk web site, just spent a good hour on it looking for info on TA. It had my eyes going wibbley and when I did find the bit I wanted it did not work! Grrrr.

If you are designing a web page remember K.I.S.S. Design it so potentual recuits have a page with ALL the info they need to get their first foot through the door.
Before I joined I did a lot of research on the web before popping down to see the Units in my area.

*distant sound of Dr Evil detonating*

That frikkin site drives me MENTAL.

Prior to 1 April 2007, someone interested in joining their local TA could do the following:

1. Google "Territorial Army"
2. Click on the TA website, www.ta.mod.uk
3. Type their postcode into TA Near You on the TA website home page and click "search" on the same page, and be presented with a list of nearby TA units

Since 1 April 2007, the steps are:

1. Google "Territorial Army"
2. Click on "Join the Territorial Army (at the bottom of the screen)
3. Click on "Contact us" (that's if you already know what you're looking for - it ain't obvious)
4. Click on "In Your Area"
5. On the new page that appears, enter postcode and click "Search"
6. If it works, as is not currently the case a list of all Army institutions nearby appears. About 10 A4 pages' worth of scrolling later, beneath the Army Cadets, the AFCOs, the ACIOs, the Army Medical Services, Regular Army units, etc., etc., you reach a list of nearby TA units.

Easy!

Fcking TW@TS designed that site.

I'm a bit concerned by the picture on the 7 rifles website of the bloke with the caption "thinking of joining" they forgot to add "do you think your hard enough"

I wasn't even aware that the ta.mod.uk website had gone...

The new armyjobs site is aimed at the regs and the TA side appears to have been an after-thought. I would have said that 95% of potential recruits see either an ad in the paper, or drive past their local TAC - they're not really all that bothered what unit they will be joining, they just want to join.

Surely the best approach was the old approach - where do you live? here are the three nearest TAC's (within your pre-defined radius) and there are these units at these TACS - which one interests you? ok, here's their website. Bam, new recruit.

The new approach is just bollocks.