Good reads ...

Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on books written by Int Corps soldiers/officers about their experiences in units or in ops ... just finished reading The Operators by James Rennie, which I thought was brilliant, any others I should be prowling Amazon for?

Await incoming, but hopefully a few good suggestions too ...

try "The Secret History of SOE" 1940 - 1945 by William Mackenzie.....with 814 pages!

Try "Chicksands or Bust!" by V Tilburger.

"WMD" by Tony B Liar

:D

I read a cracking book recently about a guy who went Det. The name of the book and author are on the tip of my tounge, so as soon as I remember I will post the details.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
jim4244 said:
I read a cracking book recently about a guy who went Det. The name of the book and author are on the tip of my tounge, so as soon as I remember I will post the details.
Tounge? Is that a kind of room?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Wench3000 said:
jim4244 said:
No, it's a small spare living room.

Biped said:
Wench3000 said:
jim4244 said:
No, it's a small spare living room.
Oh right. So why has Jim got an author hanging around his spare living room?

I think we have a right to know.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, seeing as how this is an 'Int' thread, I'm afraid I can't tell you.

How about "The Nemesis File" by Paul Bruce

I like the review he got afterwards by the RUC
[hr]
"THE NEMESIS FILE: A TRUE STORY OF AN EXECUTION SQUAD
The Royal Ulster Constabulary has for some time been making enquiries into alleged serious criminal offences, primarily as a result of allegations made in the book "The Nemisis File: the true story of an Execution Squad" which is published by Blake Publishing.

As part of our continuing enquiries, and having regard to the seriousness of the allegations made in the book, the book's author was arrested by RUC officers under the Prevention of Terrorism Act and was interviewed at Castlereagh Police Station, Belfast.

Enquiries into the matter have now been completed and we are satisfied that the allegations contained in the book are not true in fact or substance and this includes an assertion that the author was at some time a member of the Special Air Services Regiment. The RUC is satisfied that the author has not been concerned, either directly or indirectly, in the commission of any serious criminal offence whilst serving in the Province during the period February _ June 1972 when he served as a vehicle mechanic with the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. The RUC considers the book "The Nemesis File: the true story of an Execution Squad" as a work of fiction and accordingly the investigation is now closed".
[hr]
.... Unless some of you know otherwise :wink:

Wench3000 said:
Its just North of Albrighton on the A41

I'll get my Fedora

I found the "Op MI Managers' " thread by renowned Gruaniad contributor CR an absolute ripping yarn, sure to get in the best-sellers ( Fiction- paperback)

Sassoon, Powell etc all wrote eloquently enough but not necessarily about their experiences in Int Corps. Read them, analyse them and you may find out a little more about the ways their minds work, which is useful in itself. But if it's Boys Own you're after, try Boy's Own.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Try the books of Ted Allbeury. A bit dated for this generation but books which were written by someone who had actually done something in Army Intelligence during WW2. He did not write an autobiography as he said he had signed a bit of paper not allowing him to do so. However his novels drew hugely on what he personally had seen/done/arranged - especially in the period in Germany immediately following the end of the war and the west facing up to Uncle Joe's mob.

He joined up in 1940 - applied to an advert which said something along the lines of 'volunteers wanted - no promotion over LCpl'. He joined as a Private and left just over 6 years later as a Lt Col - not bad for a ceiling restriction!

Try the books - they are good stories of people coping or not.