Good ole JSP 101

Judge Judy

Old-Salt
Now that I've shed my green skin and am now a stinking civvy there are some things I still can't shake such as writing memos and whatnot. Today I made a table in word and started to put the headings in, no problem so far. I then started to put (a), (b), (c) and so on underneath and I suddenly thought, 'Why am I doing that, what do those letters actually do?'

In all my years I've done this without question so what were they actually for?

Now that I've shed my green skin and am now a stinking civvy there are some things I still can't shake such as writing memos and whatnot. Today I made a table in word and started to put the headings in, no problem so far. I then started to put (a), (b), (c) and so on underneath and I suddenly thought, 'Why am I doing that, what do those letters actually do?'

Allows you to reference a cell, column or line - a, b, c across the top, 1,2,3 down the left. Column a or line 3 or item 3a.

Judge Judy

Old-Salt
Hmm, you're making me think now. Didn't they used to look something like this? So why have (a) under Ser or was that not how it was?
SerDingerrJudge JudyTube
(a)(b)(c)(d)

QRK2

LE

It's a hangover from an earlier age without word processing software. If the table goes across onto the next page the typist would head the columns on the later pages with just the letter.

Judge Judy

Old-Salt
Interesting, ta. Still a bit confused why you would put (a) under the numbers though because you'd still have the same problem if you went onto the next page without the column headers?

See, this is where I've been going wrong all this time; I spent most of my aggressively average career around aeroplanes, beers / wines various, early retirement plans, and trying [mostly trying] to get into the underwear of any semi-attractive bird who came within my field of view.

I should've concentrated on the spacing, formatting & indents on memo pads.

See, this is where I've been going wrong all this time; I spent most of my aggressively average career around aeroplanes, beers / wines various, early retirement plans, and trying [mostly trying] to get into the underwear of any semi-attractive bird who came within my field of view.

You’re a pilot and you can write?

Impressed.

I don’t even know what indents are.

I really, really, found JSP 101 to be excellent - a veritable mine of clarity.

To play buzzword battleships?

japseyewarrior

War Hero
I'd have thought one of the great pleasures of leaving the military is not being held to account by a ridiculous document like JSP 101.
That and hands in pockets, not having to wear a hat outdoors (or indoors if you're in trouble), cutting across the grass to get to your car, not having to inspect someones badges before addressing them, being able to wear whatever warm kit you feel appropriate to the climate you feel, sunglasses when it's sunny, not worrying about the length of your sideburns etc.

Judge Judy

Old-Salt

Bet you feel silly now?

Latest Threads