Good Night Arlene - Poots pootles off

Poots gone. Absolute embarrassment for Unionism on one hand, but hopefully Donaldson gets the job.

Wee Arlene must be laughing her bollix off tonight.

Following this in the comments on Slugger (not the most impartial of groups I agree, it's a shame as I remember the days when it was a bit more balanced and Unionists weren't afraid to argue their case there and they held their own well) and one point I thought was interesting. One person said the DUP fears it is losing votes to the right so is moving to the right (well it was up until last night) but in fact it's losing votes to the centre and moving to the right simply makes the situation worse. I'd be interested to hear from better-informed sources whether that is the case.

Is there a case for the DUP simply to fold (hard to believe I am writing this after the party being such a mainstay of Northern Ireland politics for most of my life)? The Donaldsonites merge with the UUP to make a Garden Centre Party with the Pootistas and Paisleyites joining Big Jim in the TUV for the One True Believers Party. Basically a return to Unionist politics as it was pre-1998.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Unionism in kitform then?

Poots gone. Absolute embarrassment for Unionism on one hand, but hopefully Donaldson gets the job.

Wee Arlene must be laughing her bollix off tonight.

Yesterday afternoon GF had as his Quote of the Day

While Stormont and the DUP go into meltdown yet again, Arlene’s having a lovely political retirement:​
“Just had a lovely lunch @DeanesAtQueens with a good friend. It’s great hospitality is open again- Hope everyone is having a great day this lovely sunny afternoon.”
It reminded me of the old Chinese curse ... "May you live in interesting times".

Could this be the new Brexit Party leadership merry-go-round?

Will Nigel Farage be co-opted ?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer

While Stormont and the DUP go into meltdown yet again, Arlene’s having a lovely political retirement:​
“Just had a lovely lunch @DeanesAtQueens with a good friend. It’s great hospitality is open again- Hope everyone is having a great day this lovely sunny afternoon.”
It reminded me of the old Chinese curse ... "May you live in interesting times".

We can only hope.

It really is a bizarre place. The two ruling party's. one flat earth creationists, the other apologists for murder. The majority of NI were against BREXIT, yet the 'leaders' of the country went against the wishes of the people. Now you cant get a decent sausage, or bring your dear old English pooch over for a visit. :scratch:

The South is terrified of having the dead weight of Ulster dropped on their toes. Another reason why I'd love to see the North vote for reunification.

I guess the reaction of the South might be stalling tactics, slow things down, need a plan, lots of public consultation, plenty of time etc. then simply drag things out with any administration hoping they can kick the can far enough down the road so that it becomes someone else's problem, anything other than be heard to say no.

Of course if things need time then perhaps it is what the young people (both north and south) think that might direct future outcomes. I wonder if they are as firmly ensconced in the past as the current generation of politicians, movers and shakers now managing the scheme of things? Does the potato famine and the Black and Tans sit at the front of their memories or have they moved on? Maybe maybe matters such as the EU (for politics) and reality television and going to the gym (social life) are more important to them?

Whatever, SF seem to have a smarter handle on PR than the DUP, the former seeming progressive minded (as a slick ruse to keep attention away from any real agenda they might have) and the latter desiring a return to early last century.

I guess the reaction of the South might be stalling tactics, slow things down, need a plan, lots of public consultation, plenty of time etc. then simply drag things out with any administration hoping they can kick the can far enough down the road so that it becomes someone else's problem, anything other than be heard to say no.

Of course if things need time then perhaps it is what the young people (both north and south) think that might direct future outcomes. I wonder if they are as firmly ensconced in the past as the current generation of politicians, movers and shakers now managing the scheme of things? Does the potato famine and the Black and Tans sit at the front of their memories or have they moved on? Maybe maybe matters such as the EU (for politics) and reality television and going to the gym (social life) are more important to them?

Whatever, SF seem to have a smarter handle on PR than the DUP, the former seeming progressive minded (as a slick ruse to keep attention away from any real agenda they might have) and the latter desiring a return to early last century.

all the parties in the Republic need to be pro United Ireland because of (a) history (b) rise of Sinn Fein in the Republic (c) Brexit & the DUP

Real question is will DUP be the largest party at the next MLA elections in max 11 months time

all the parties in the Republic need to be pro United Ireland because of (a) history (b) rise of Sinn Fein in the Republic (c) Brexit & the DUP

Real question is will DUP be the largest party at the next MLA elections in max 11 months time

Indeed, the question is who will adapt, move forward and survive and who will prove incapable of thinking on their feet and become irrelevant, if not extinct. My money is on SF as the rats preying on the DUP (Dodo Unionist Party).

Indeed, the question is who will adapt, move forward and survive and who will prove incapable of thinking on their feet and become irrelevant, if not extinct. My money is on SF as the rats preying on the DUP (Dodo Unionist Party).
Would it not be the time for the resurgence of the UUP. As normal, sane Unionists flock back to it as the only reasonable and comparatively sane voice left in Unionism?

Would it not be the time for the resurgence of the UUP. As normal, sane Unionists flock back to it as the only reasonable and comparatively sane voice left in Unionism?

Perhaps all other contenders can feed off the DUP corpse. I suppose the question that worries many is will there be enough hardline Unionism to cause mayhem as time progresses? Let's assume a United ireland, will Unionists simply blend in and get on with life or will there be enough of them to make life difficult for peaceful or easy governance?

I don't know and I suspect that any Irish government would likely want to feel that things will be fine before proceeding. SF have been trying to do the "we will govern for the good of all" sloganeering" route but harping back to the past struggles and martyrs will set their stock back within the Unionist communities, perhaps they will start to tone that down, they will need to even if it upsets some of their own.

It's a mess whatever way you look at it. Perhaps Westminster just wants to shunt this off onto someone else and reunification would certainly do that. Caveat Emptor I would say, watch out for the "sold as seen" contract condition.

Last edited:
Perhaps all other contenders can feed off the DUP corpse. I suppose the question that worries many is will there be enough hardline Unionism to cause mayhem as time progresses? Let's assume a United ireland, will Unionists simply blend in and get on with life or will there be enough of them to make life difficult for peaceful or easy governance?

I don't know and I suspect that any Irish government would likely want to feel that things will be fine before proceeding. SF have been trying to do the "we will govern for the good of all" sloganeering" route but harping back to the past struggles and martyrs will set their stock back within the Unionist communities, perhaps they will start to tone that down, they will need to even if it upsets some of their own.

It's a mess whatever way you look at it. Perhaps Westminster just wants to shunt this off onto someone else and reunification would certainly do that. Caveat Emptor I would say, watch out for the "sold as seen" contract condition.

The truth is, Dublin don’t want us!

Well SF isn’t going to benefit from a more fragmented DUP really, unless the unionist vote becomes more spilt and they become the largest party.

the issue the DUP has is it has (relative) moderates, the extreme, the ultra extreme and the off the corner of the plant ultra extreme. It can’t be all things to all.

in a United Ireland, the DUP wouldn’t get votes anywhere in the current Republic. Irish voters don’t generally vote for extremists (that is why SF is moving from the far left (in public at least)).

Latest Threads