Good news in the Gurkha campaign

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by in_the_cheapseats, Mar 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

2. Wonderful news! The BBC TV report is flashing up that a new policy allowing them to stay should be in place "within a month".
  3. Excellent News. Long deserved and good job.

Possibly understatement of the year perhaps?
  4. This is wounderful news
  5. They are welcomed here with open arms.
  6. I don't get this. What's to review? All the Gurkhas can prove their service, so why this unnecessary delay?
  7. Hello Chubb.
  8. Brilliant news.
  9. It's about time this poxy G'ment got something right although I think all of us who have added our signatures to the Gurkha campaign will have helped sway them too, public opinion was always with the these brave soldiers anyway.
  10. Excellent news, let's hope the Gov't don't manage to drag out the test cases for too long once the announcement's been made.
  11. Great news for the Gurkhas. Reading an anymous 'Home Office spokesperson' comment in the BBC website:

"Since 2004, over 6000 former Gurkhas and family members have been granted settlement in the UK under immigration rules," he continued.
    "We are determined to get the guidance right to ensure that it is fair to all Gurkhas. This has involved consultation across government."

- and given that the Office for National Statistics website states that apprximately 577,000 people arrived in 2007 (the last year I could find figures for) and stayed for at least a year, the 6,000 former Gurkhas & dependants equate to just under 4 days' worth of 'average' immigration.

I hope that the govt and its spokespeople don't try to trot out any more figures like this in their pathetic attempts to sound benevolent. 6,000 sounds like a big number, but not when put in context.
  12. Keep on pushing, we may be nearly there, but we haven't won just yet.
  13. This is good news at last,sadly several of the old boys have died while they have been waiting. I hope they all come ,we could do with few friends coming in instead of enemys.
  14. Good news. Well done to all involved.