Good luck Salonika Company

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bravo_Bravo, Sep 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Safe tour, dudes.

2. BB sorry to nitpick but its Salonika Company

3. Good luck lads - stay safe!!

4. Aye, seconded.
    All the best.

5. good luck lads - the Londons have set the benchmark so you know where to aim

6. Good luck SALONIKA Company - it's going to be tough to follow SOMME Company (esp. its OC!) - but all in the LONDONS are sure you will do well. (Extra good luck to those ex-LONDONS from F&G Coys)

7. Haste ye Back! good luck lads (and lasses!)

8. Bravo Bravo - you not going then?

9. Safe tour guys

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Poor choice of name for a composite company, typical disasterous expedetionary forces: Salonika
    I hope they have more luck than their namesakes! :?

11. Ug, I think you're slightly missing the point. The battle honour was selected because:
    1. All bar about one of the antecedent Regiments which went to form the Rifles fought there
    2. It's significance relates to the courage and tenacity of the men who fought there, not necessarily the outcome.
    3. 7 RIFLES were able to visit Macedonia and the site of the Doiran battles in June this year. Few remained unmoved by that visit — particularly when they saw the ground over which the battles were fought.

Do you think Somme Company were badly named too?

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No at least we allegedly killed more Germans than UK troops at the somme eventually!
    The Salonika c ampaign was the ultimate sideshow, ergo a poor choice despite it being a battle honour, it remains in living history as one of the dreadful campaigns that was too little too late. I too wish them luck, I'd rather all composite companies were called Vimy or messines rather than Arnhem etc!

13. That is a rather simplistic view of a much misunderstood campaign. Battlefield failures were a feature of most actions during the Great War and few campaigns emerged with a spotless reputation.

If General Milne's modest requests for 8-in howitzers (the most suitable weapon for destroying the concrete-encased Bulgarian artillery) were answered in 1916, the Bulgarian line could have been broken. Once through that line, the lines of communication between Germany and Turkey would have been severed (as they were in 1918) and the collapse of the Central Powers hastened. As it was, the mere presence of the Salonika Force made the Germans think twice about sending large contingents through what was effectively a bottleneck.

However, judging by your previous posts, you probably won't give that argument any credibility since it doesn't involve lots of dead Hermanns but you might perhaps consider this before condemning the name out of hand. Had the Salonika Force not been there, Bulgaria would have overrun Greece (with a large degree of cooperation from within) in a matter of days. They would then have commanded numerous submarine bases from which to dominate the Eastern Med and therefore the Suez Canal. Once that had been closed, all Allied shipping would have been forced round the Cape of Good Hope thus placing a critical strain on Allied shipping. The coastlines of our remaining Mediterranean Allies — especially Italy — could equally have been threatened at a time when morale was extremely low with potentially disastrous results.

All that aside, I believe that the name was reasonably well received by the Coy...which is perhaps more than can be said for the lego castle badge they are now sporting!

Good luck Salonika Coy.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Actually well done for spotting most of the reasons for sending the force there, the reason it stayed was lack of transport thanks mainly to the Dardanelles however their prescence did more to stop the greeks joining the axis powers than anything else. They won but didnt we all in the end. Yes somme could have been done better but who was writing school reports on Haig etc in 1915/16!
    It did however arrive too late to win the high ground, (heard that before) and sacrifice that were made could have been avoided!
    I'd like to think we have better generals and I beleive that we do have better Bn Cdrs!