good lord the EU did something I agree with

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Grumblegrunt, Feb 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

2. Why do you agree with it? It's ****ing ludicrous.

• Like Like x 6
  3. You will never stop bankers pilfering huge amounts of cash whenever they want. They see it as their own.

• Like Like x 1
  4. So you agree that the vastly undemocratic European Union should be able to make arbitrary decisions on what privately owned companies can pay their employees? Surely it the shareholders (i.e. owners) of any company that should be making that decision?

A very slippery slope indeed

• Like Like x 13
    • Like Like x 10
  5. If these are the same people who write EUSSR in their posts then the cognitive dissonance caused by this ruling must be amazing to see.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Communism - EU style. I am not particularly fond of bankers but I don't believe some ****** sitting in a different country should have ANY say on my salary. *****. Can I have a say on the salary and benefits of the MEPs? Please......

• Like Like x 4
  7. I support it, banker's salaries are absurd. There should be a cap on how much someone can earn as well as a property cap. That might stop the baby boomers from fking over the younger generation by buying up all the cheap housing. The govt should also lower student fees for real subjects and scrap meeja studies and dance.

Bitter? Moi?

You bet, I'd like to have cheap housing and a fair education system again. Making the rich even richer doesn't help anyone.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 3
  8. So the EU cap bankers bonuses (and wages?). What'll happen next? All the best bankers will get snapped up by the US and other banks where there is no cap - and we'll be left with the dross.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Are you suggesting we had the best bankers in the world then?

That's a relief, for a moment I thought our bankers had gambled everyone's money and got us into the worst recession in living memory, but if they're really good and know what they're doing we'll all be saved!

A trained chimp could do a better job than those goons. All they do is push paper and sell stocks based on elaborate forecasts predicted by utter bollocks. They don't know any more about the situation than you or I. If they did we wouldn't be in this mess.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I've been pro union over the years but am becoming a bit of a sceptic now largely because of the huge population move into Britain. I'm certainly not opposed to it but I think the EU should bear the costs rather than the UK taxpayers get lumbered with it all.

I also don't think this is a good idea interfering with bankers personal remuneration. By all means look at taxing excessive profits but this means nothing to most of us,

11. Cock.

THe US bankers started the whole thing by betting the farm on the US mortgage market. When that went tits-up it took Lehmans with it - that had a knock-on effect everywhere.

"A trained chimp could do a better job than those goons. All they do is push paper and sell stocks based on elaborate forecasts predicted by utter bollocks. They don't know any more about the situation than you or I. If they did we wouldn't be in this mess"

Selling stocks is a brokers' job - investmetn bankers typically do M & A, ECM and DCM, plus things like mezzanine financing, project financing, etc. Who typed your post - an untrained chimp?

Without ECM, DCM and M & A fund managers wouldn't have an awful lot of products to invest in other than commodities, precious metals and Forex.If you have a pension, your money is invested in products supplied by investment bankers. If you don't like them, then withdraw your money and keep it under your mattress.

You really work hard to keep that O2 thief tag, don't you? Cock.

• Like Like x 1
  12. As has been pointed out, it is an intrusion into private business. Notwithstanding that the Government has heavily invested in certain banks, those banks have not been nationalised and remain private companies. However the Government is there to regulate the banks and they should be granted the leverage to affect bonuses when certain criteria are not met. This Government and the last one have both instructed the banks to make more money available for business and to make more use of the GLGS to make more money available to companies. I would like to see a law which limits the bonus available if they have not met their business funding obligations. I would do this in the form of a levy that could then be put straight back into grant schemes aimed at business development.

I'm against regulation just because someone thinks they earn too much, after all they still pay tax on what they earn. However I'm also against huge bonuses being paid when they haven't met their obligations. Two different criteria? Split the banks then and don't combine commercial with investment banking.

• Like Like x 2
  13. US bankers were pretty much forced into what they did by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act which essentially made them lend money to high risk borrowers by statute, anyone who thinks Gordon Brown wouldn't have done the same had the British banks decided to not lend to high risk borrowers needs their head tested.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Touch a raw nerve darling? Do you work in banking?

ABC, ECM, whatever bollocks psychobabble is meaningless. Bankers are all money grabbing *****, Geraint Anderson admits as much. People can invest and play the stock market without them. Brokers gamble with people's money and the rest just invent graphs. RBS had to be bailed out by the taxpayer and they're still getting bonuses.