• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Good looking Job Dubai

#2
Just slammed my CV into this one and a lady called me back saying that this job was an armed position - did I mind using firearms?!! "Oh no" I said, absolutely not.
 
#3
"No experience necessary", apparently, apart from a recent 'hostile environment preparation course'.

"Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dust. Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day. "

Swift sucking in through teeth - tsk - that's me out, then. (What "average-weight object of up to 25lbs are they thinking of? This bears closer examination...)
 
#5
I think you'll find that the exchange rate is around 6.5 to the pound. 14ish Grand a year in Dubai? Not a fooking chance of living on that even with accomadation paid for...
 
#6
prisoner said:
thats 70,000 to 80,000 DIRHAMS not pounds

you get about 900 dirhams to 100 pounds.
The advert says £'s, not that I could give a toss but how do you know it is dirhams ?
 
#7
Whiskybreath said:
"No experience necessary", apparently, apart from a recent 'hostile environment preparation course'.

"Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dust. Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day. "

Swift sucking in through teeth - tsk - that's me out, then. (What "average-weight object of up to 25lbs are they thinking of? This bears closer examination...)
A GPMG perhaps?

I thought the ad was rather strangely worded.

Was the main body of the text the agency's standard job desciption for security guards?

Knowledge of federal, state, and local traffic laws and regulations governing the operation of a commercial passenger vehicle.
Busdriving??

Skill in providing protection services to individuals on campus.
School bodyguard?
 
#9
This job is pounds sterling my friends!! Now we're on the subject, what is the score with Brits paying tax, or would it be tax free in a country like that?
 
#10
It looks like your a mobile security guard on some sort of compound/estate/campus
 
#11
There are a lot of (huge) building sites in Dubai that are full of very valuable resources. Most of the workforce are shipped in from Asia/Indonesia and at the risk of being labelled something I am not there appears to be a lot of stuff going "missing". Brit/European security guards are perceived as being reliable and trustworthy (oh how foolish). Maybe that is the reason for the current recruiting drive. I don't think that this is to be confused with CP security work.

I could be wrong.
 
#12
They have been experiencing serious problems with industrial unrest on a number of sites recently. I mean rioting rather than strikes.

Most people in Dubai are actually Pakistani (so many of us should feel right at home :) ), or Indian or Filipino - and the local Arabs are very much in the minority.

The Pakistanis get treated like sh1t (that good old Muslim brotherhood!) - paid f*** all and housed in what are effectively tented camps in the desert. Sometimes they get their passports confiscated and sometimes they don't get paid for a few months.

I would imagine that it could be this ugly situation into which you would be stepping.
 
#13
80k£ in Dubai for armed guard, I dont believe it bro, the boys up the road arnt getting that at the moment! Unjust if it is. The highest ive seen for force protection and PSD in Kuwait is 40,000£pa.

If you do go though check out 'rock bottom' at the regency, packed with young rich oil daughters, loaded with daddys money and plastic surgery. Banged one accross the bar in the dark end for a few seconds before being given the hoof by the staff! Winner!
 
#14
TABBER said:
80k£ in Dubai for armed guard, I dont believe it bro, the boys up the road arnt getting that at the moment! Unjust if it is. The highest ive seen for force protection and PSD in Kuwait is 40,000£pa.

If you do go though check out 'rock bottom' at the regency, packed with young rich oil daughters, loaded with daddys money and plastic surgery. Banged one accross the bar in the dark end for a few seconds before being given the hoof by the staff! Winner!
Sorry to burst bubble TABBER, but there are much better paid less dangerous jobs out there and world wide (some even unarmed). Unjust has nothing to do with it.
It means you're in the wrong contract or should think more about your daily rate than where you're working. Also who are you going through? How much are they selling you for? what cut are they taking? what do they provide and what does the client provide?

I don't think Reed would put up an advert unless it was reasonably legit, and the wording does sound like its from an SOW.
 
#15
Cutsy said:
This job is pounds sterling my friends!! Now we're on the subject, what is the score with Brits paying tax, or would it be tax free in a country like that?
It would be tax free in the UAE however, (and the actual wage paid is contestable!), I believe the current rules are that you must be resident outside the UK for something like 330 days in each financial year otherwise you'll have to pay tax.
 
#16
I think the key to this one, and the only way it's worth that is that is says Dubai, Worldwide.

Then later in the ad, it says "May be deployed to a specific area" or somesuch. Hmm, now where might that be, not too, too far away! Similarly the hostile environment course prerequisite - why would you need that in Dubai? Incase you had to fend off the frenzied expats wives in the malls? Or falling down the biggest indoor ski slope in the world? Or maybe because you get too lashed up in the many bars one night! :D

It's worth knowing that an awful lot of the PMC companies are based in, or have a presence in Dubai, and trips back and forth to Baggers and vicinity are fairly commonplace.
 
#17
the_matelot said:
Cutsy said:
This job is pounds sterling my friends!! Now we're on the subject, what is the score with Brits paying tax, or would it be tax free in a country like that?
It would be tax free in the UAE however, (and the actual wage paid is contestable!), I believe the current rules are that you must be resident outside the UK for something like 330 days in each financial year otherwise you'll have to pay tax.
The UK is actually much more lenient that that. To be non-resident for tax status you can be in the country much more than a month (which I think is the US rule) from memory it is closer to 6 months. I certainly went back to the UK for over 3 months in one tax year without being liable for UK tax.
 
#18
The rule is 3 months per year but this can be averaged over 3 or 4 years - so if you have to come back for an emergency or something and u've used up ur three months, it doesnt cost u an arm and a leg in tax. But think were getting off topic a little.
This ad does seem a bit strange - any further feedback from applicants to it??
 
#19
The rule is 3 months per year but this can be averaged over 3 or 4 years - so if you have to come back for an emergency or something and u've used up ur three months, it doesnt cost u an arm and a leg in tax. But think were getting off topic a little.
This ad does seem a bit strange - any further feedback from applicants to it??
 
#20
Zoid: seen, now that makes sense to me now!

With the tax, as I understand it you have 6 months in the UK the first year and 3 months each year there after in order to maintain your non-residency status and therefor pay 0 tax.

However what happens if you cut away just after the financial year has started, say mid april. Dose that mean your first year is going to be taxed until you have worked for your second year, I have never understood how it works date wise from the 1st of april and how they decide what is a non-residential year and what isn't depending on when you leave.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top