Good looking Job Dubai

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by western, Aug 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just slammed my CV into this one and a lady called me back saying that this job was an armed position - did I mind using firearms?!! "Oh no" I said, absolutely not.
  2. "No experience necessary", apparently, apart from a recent 'hostile environment preparation course'.

"Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dust. Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day. "

Swift sucking in through teeth - tsk - that's me out, then. (What "average-weight object of up to 25lbs are they thinking of? This bears closer examination...)
  3. thats 70,000 to 80,000 DIRHAMS not pounds

you get about 900 dirhams to 100 pounds.
  4. I think you'll find that the exchange rate is around 6.5 to the pound. 14ish Grand a year in Dubai? Not a fooking chance of living on that even with accomadation paid for...
  5. The advert says £'s, not that I could give a toss but how do you know it is dirhams ?
  6. A GPMG perhaps?

I thought the ad was rather strangely worded.

Was the main body of the text the agency's standard job desciption for security guards?

School bodyguard?
  7. Quality job...............................................
  8. This job is pounds sterling my friends!! Now we're on the subject, what is the score with Brits paying tax, or would it be tax free in a country like that?
  9. It looks like your a mobile security guard on some sort of compound/estate/campus
  10. There are a lot of (huge) building sites in Dubai that are full of very valuable resources. Most of the workforce are shipped in from Asia/Indonesia and at the risk of being labelled something I am not there appears to be a lot of stuff going "missing". Brit/European security guards are perceived as being reliable and trustworthy (oh how foolish). Maybe that is the reason for the current recruiting drive. I don't think that this is to be confused with CP security work.

I could be wrong.
  11. They have been experiencing serious problems with industrial unrest on a number of sites recently. I mean rioting rather than strikes.

Most people in Dubai are actually Pakistani (so many of us should feel right at home :) ), or Indian or Filipino - and the local Arabs are very much in the minority.

The Pakistanis get treated like sh1t (that good old Muslim brotherhood!) - paid f*** all and housed in what are effectively tented camps in the desert. Sometimes they get their passports confiscated and sometimes they don't get paid for a few months.

I would imagine that it could be this ugly situation into which you would be stepping.
  12. 80k£ in Dubai for armed guard, I dont believe it bro, the boys up the road arnt getting that at the moment! Unjust if it is. The highest ive seen for force protection and PSD in Kuwait is 40,000£pa.

If you do go though check out 'rock bottom' at the regency, packed with young rich oil daughters, loaded with daddys money and plastic surgery. Banged one accross the bar in the dark end for a few seconds before being given the hoof by the staff! Winner!
  13. Sorry to burst bubble TABBER, but there are much better paid less dangerous jobs out there and world wide (some even unarmed). Unjust has nothing to do with it.
    It means you're in the wrong contract or should think more about your daily rate than where you're working. Also who are you going through? How much are they selling you for? what cut are they taking? what do they provide and what does the client provide?

I don't think Reed would put up an advert unless it was reasonably legit, and the wording does sound like its from an SOW.
  14. It would be tax free in the UAE however, (and the actual wage paid is contestable!), I believe the current rules are that you must be resident outside the UK for something like 330 days in each financial year otherwise you'll have to pay tax.