Good Kit

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Gash_Handlin, Jan 18, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. while you lot are whingeing about your half empty glasses, how about some awards for the best bit of kit, any era, try and stick to issue stuff but feel free to put up a nomination for something you had to buy, never know who might be reading and get a bright idea ;)

my nomination, I like the  CS95 Gloves, and the goretex waterproofs go a long way to making life a bit more comfortable, not the best available by a long shot but a lot better than those crappy plastic bags we used to have to wear...

The floor is open ladies and gents.

p.s. Biscuits Fruit  ;D

2. gotta be the issue fleece!!!! but does anyone know what the holes in the cuffs are for??

3. Good kit is tricky as you take it for granted.  Being a fan of  sleeping and as I no longer have to wrestle it in to a bergan, I'm a lover of the issue scratcher.  Many a good kip in that bandit.  

4. Hmmm,

I've always wondered about the evolution of the average Tom but I would have thought that most, if not all, would have opposeable thumbs with which to fill their cuff holes.

B.B

5. Surely the best bit of kit ever issued has to be the Jersey Heavy Wool.  Warm and wooly, like a Welshman's fantasy, the thing cannot be defeated.  There is also the added benefit that you can look like a 1970s soldier after a few days growth in the field.  I cannot believe the powers that be are withdrawing them from issue.  I shall be keeping mine.  Failing that, a dirty protest in the QM's office will get the message across.

6. I agree with the Jersey Heavy Wool as a great bit of kit. Is it to late for us to start an ARRSE campaign to keep it as issue?

When we gonna get softees issued?

7. the CS95 system is good but we need to be allowed to wear it instead of going backwards to the JHW although good it is out of date and not as durable.......or as easy to iron

8. OK, this lot's from a while back...  

Canadian Parkas, Mukluk boots and green leather flying gloves...

9. Still wear mine much to the RSMs dislike-RHIP. Never ironed it either so thats not a problem!

10. What's more you can brainwash your children in to becoming Army murderers from an early age by sticking a spare JHW in the tumble drier.  Heh presto, little jonny ready for battle.

On the same subject, the short bullpup design of SA80 and the small (old favourite) ETH were both adopted because you could get your kids playing with them from about 6.  Baden Powell would be proud.

11. how about the BATUS parka!!!!

wot a godsend that was on winter maint!!

12. Wot about artic kit. Socks are quality for keeping your tootsies warn in a CP tent on long exercises in Germany.

Those artic cam whites are gleaming too. Never actually warn them for cam except S.Armargh but always a great fancy dress item.

13. HE shells

14. i have to say my favorite bit of issue kit is the pre 1985 pattern combat suit. the old cotton double lined jacket and trousers. Ok in hot weather a pain but almost indestructable even in obua training. unlike 85,90,95 replacements

15. C95 Jacket, much better than any of its predecessors.
    Pro boots - so good that they've stopped issuing them!