Good Info and It Works (Apparently)

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by B_AND_T, Jan 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Just be given this bit of info from someone who is due a little windfall shortly.

Service personnel who own or rent private accommodation are responsible for paying Council Tax direct to the appropriate Local Authority concerned. If they also occupy Service accommodation they may ask their Local Authority to reduce the rate of Council Tax due on the private property for single or nil occupancy.

For service personnel who own a private property, a 50% council tax discount may be claimed from their local authority, where their main job-related dwelling is provided by the Ministry of Defence anywhere in Great Britain and their private property is in England.

This is with accordance with the Council Tax (Prescribed Classes of Dwellings) (England) Regulations 2003, SI 2003/3011 (as amended by SI 2004/926 and SI 2005/416). Similar regulations apply in Scotland under The Council Tax (Discount for Unoccupied Dwellings) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, SI 2005 No. 51.

If you want more info PM me.

B&T

2. If it works for anyone let me know, becuase I tried a while back and the councils idea of a primary residence and the Armys differ somewhat and they told me to blow out my ass :(

3. Also on the AFF website here

4. Does that therefore mean that if I am MUA on the over 37 package with my family living in my own house, I only pay 50% council tax as my wife is the single occupant? As over 37 pays no accom charges does that also mean no ciloct? Win win if so, any gurus out there who can answer, this applies to me in about 6 months time.

SL

5. No
    "For service personnel who own a private property, a 50% council tax discount may be claimed from their local authority, where their main job-related dwelling is provided by the Ministry of Defence anywhere in Great Britain and their private property is in England."

This assumes the property is empty and your family occupy SFA. You could however ask for the 25% discount for single occupancy from your local council although I wouldn't get your hopes up. They will tell you that this is where you return at weekends and off-duty periods and so in effect you live there.

At least on the Over 37 package you will get GYH to compensate slightly. As for CILOCT, you shouldn't be charged it if no accomodation charge is actioned on JPA.

6. In all honesty I do not consider that unreasonable. I am not being charged Council Tax or CILOCT in my duty station so I am not being charged twice.

7. I've already tried this with my local council on 2 attempts. They told me that i wasn't elidgable for either of the reductions. It fcuking rattles me to this day

8. The council can charge at zero rate, x1 (same) rate or x2(double) rate. Its up to them. If they won't let you have zero then register a relative at your house and claim 25% off for single occupancy. It works.