Good Idea/bad Idea - Arrse Book Exchange

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by rampant, May 8, 2013.

?
  1. Yes - Great Idea

13 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No - Terrible Idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Leafing through the "What are you reading" thread my attention was caught by this post:

Now many of us have large book collections that need culling, or are looking for certain tomes to fill the holes on our shelves, so it gave me the idea that maybe an ARRSE Book Exchange could be established allowing members to exchange books.

The recipient/sender would have to meet the cost of postage, natch, but also the reciepient should make a donation a pre-agreed Mil Charity, agreed between the sender and reciepient - that way Charities not UK based, but based in Aus, NZ, US, Fra etc etc could also benefit - if you are recieving books from an Colonial Member of the site - donate to a Colonial Charity, whilst if they recieve from you, they donate to a UK charity etc etc

• Like Like x 1
  2. I was thinking if us 'Colonials' could be included, and you've answered the question. Not a bad concept.

Postage might be a bit of a 'dick drag', but I guess for the price of a few beers, and knowing that the book was going to be appreciated not a 'biggie' really.

3. I'll be in it.

4. Sounds good to me.

Sent from my HTC Desire using ARRSE mobile app

5. For some, PERSEC might be an issue.

I would love to but I would be hesitant about dishing my name and address out to some ARRSEr's

Why not offer them up all up as a Book stall for the next Help4Heroes weekender?

6. Noticed the lack of books at the RAF waiting room abroad. Someone must love C Cookson she was everywhere.

7. A general swap section might be good as well

8. a book collection never needs culling, you just need a bigger house.

• Like Like x 4
  9. I'm in, but you aren't getting any Wilbur Smith.

10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

In a small way we already do this the our Arrse battlefield tours. People on the tour bring books they no longer want & auction them for Hols.
    Maybe do something similar around various crawls.

11. i'm in, as a request to start the ball rolling, anybody got a copy of Clay pigeons of St Lo by Glover-Johns

12. Bog off, very few on here are actually important, most just think they are.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Speak for yourself, I'm the most important person I know

• Like Like x 2
  14. We could have an arrse car boot sale at different locations around the country

15. Nope, but I've got "From Vimy Ridge to the Rhine.