Good handheld GPS

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by cog_gunner, Oct 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to buy a new hand-held GPS for exercise, tabbing and the like... anyone have any good recommendations? i used to have a Garmin geko but it wasn't up to the task, no military units and used AAA batteries...

any help much appreciated!
  2. Stick with Garmin, either the 705, 60CSx or something along those lines.
  3. How about "GARMIN ETREX" uses AA batteries
  4. Further to last posting, Try RVops Garmin E trex 1p short of £100
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The sexiest GPS I've seen to date is the Garmin 60CSx.

Here's a good review of Garmins latest model, the Oregon 400T, and it is quite clear about why the 60CSx is still a better product.

It's green, waterproof, backlit, uses AA batteries, is rugged and I use mine on my pushbike, in my car and on the trail as a handheld. You can also use it for glide angles and suchlike if you like jumping out of planes, or you can take it to sea with you, where it can give you things like water temperature, again fishing times as well as water-born charting.

It's got room for an 8gb memory card, which will fit the entire UK Ordnance Survey map on WITH contours. It gives comprehensive road navigation, with nearby shopping, hotels, pubs, clubs, bars, cop shops etc etc etc too.

The list of features is extraordinary, such as:

Area calculations, hunting and fishing times, barometric pressure, altitude, fishing and hunting best times, sunset and sunrise, moonset and moonrise, calculator, games, back-tracking - it tracks 5000 automatic waypoints of the route you've travelled on, as well as being able to set in hundreds of your own waypoints for forward navigation too.

Did I mention it works in mils or degrees, imperial measure or metric? Well, it does.

All the mapping is in colour too, showing woods, rivers, tracks as well as roads, close ups of large road junctions and turn-offs too.

To summarise - it's the dogs bowlarks!

6. You beat me to it.

These look great. Custom 1:25k and 1:50k OS maps, centred around the GRID Ref of your own choice. AA Batteries. V.pricey at £300 plus maps at £100+.
  7. What a package; thanks for the advice!

However, if it doesn't lay the campfire and organise a brew, I am not that interested! :D

8. Thanks one and all, lots for me to think about now!