Good Gurkha news tonight!

This has come from Kieran tonight and he's asked me to post it on ARRSE for him. (Kieran is still very poorly and has been for some time, nevertheless, he continued putting in considerable hours fighting on behalf of the Gurkhas).

Whilst we cannot state what the Government's policy is before it is announced to Parliament, the assurances we have received tonight from the highest levels of Government indicate that today will be a historic day for the Gurkhas and their campaign for settlement in Britain. None of this would have been possible without the emails and campaigning from everybody on every forum and every website that has backed our campaign.

Joanna Lumley has specifically asked, late tonight, that you all be congratulated for doing something and hassling your MPs (the Parliamentarians told us all that it made them stop and think - in fact, some MPs said to us that they had actually received more post/emails on the Gurkha issue than had been received in any other campaign - so well done all of you and a big hug from Joanna!). We know this made a big difference and the message got through to the Government, and it shows the power of organised campaigning. The Gurkhas are forever grateful to all the British public, and especially all their comrades in uniform, for backing them.

When the announcement is made later today, you will not see the Gurkhas attacking the Government or any particular political party, they will do as Gurkhas do: come out and say a big thank you to the British people for helping them in their battle. "Most generous of the generous, bravest of the brave, never had a country more faithful friends than you [the Gurkhas]".

What other group of people actually hold a demonstration to say "thank you" after getting what they have campaigned for? This is why the Gurkhas will make a magnificent addition to British society.

Thank you all!

Kieran O'Rourke
Gurkha Justice Campaign
:D :D :D

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the UK's commitment to the Gurkhas could be honoured "in a way that protects the public finances".

This did make me laugh. This man is a cnut of the highest order.

trelawney said:
On Wednesday, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the UK's commitment to the Gurkhas could be honoured "in a way that protects the public finances".

Gordon Brown has pledged to "honour our commitments" to the Gurkhas but it could take up to two years before all the veterans are given settlement.
Well come to all the Gurkhas we are so pleased to wellcome you as part of our family in the u.k. :D

स्वागतम् शुभ कामना

Your home is ours and we are hounoured by your presence....

trelawney said:

I was just reading the news and read that very sentence out loud to my boss, suggesting that if our Glorious Leader was so concerned about public finances, he could start with slashing the social welfare budget and providing border controls that would prevent illegal immigrants from being a drain on our resources. :roll:

trelawney said:

Yup and that is why I think we should hold back from making the grand welcomes that we are on this thread. I'll cheer if it is appropriate after the announcement but I would put in past the one eyed ogre to put a couple of caveats that will cause more outrage. Trelawney's last sentence should remind us of why I have this concern.

However, I keep my fingers crossed that the more optimistic amongst us are right.

trelawney said:

NuLabor speak for we misled you about the cost before and you found us out so we have changed our estimates to what they should have been.

buttonsin3s said:
Statement due from Home Sec @ 1230.
Blah Blah, government..pleased to be doing the 'right thing'....loyal friends.... taken note of public opinion(I doubt this one but live in hope)...take time to sort details... good news, aren't we great etc etc

Still on the bright side; a result
Downside is cessation of personal emails from Jo Lumley :cry:

Gurkha's who served before 97 & more than 4 years service are welcome as are spouses & dependents under 18.
Existing applictions to be processed before June.
Fcuk it's dusty in here....

A good result (slight understatement), congratulations to Kieran and all the team who fought for this.

Sounds like a great thing finally for these Men to get the chance to live in the Country they Serve and bleed for.