Good day to you sir/my lady!

Is the RE the nuts or is it Bo**ocks

• Best job ever.. does have it's bad moments though ;)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boring, not satisfied career wise or indeed sexualy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm shortly going to be a part of the army and have a choice between REME and the RE. If i may can i see a show of hands of sorts to see job satisfaction for the RE? like/dislikes? I must say so far i'm swaying RE as you seem a good bunch of lads/lasses. (but don't tell the REME that :wink: ) Thanks alot your help is much apreciated.

T

Tremaine

Hang around and you'll soon have a big handful of sh*te thrown n those rose tinted specs matey ;-)

Just get on with it, make your choice and do your best. Sound advice 'n' no one expects any more (nor do they want to hear from you).

clownbasher said:
And what makes you think they'd want YOU?
I was only asking no need for a backlash :) . My polite answer would be thankyou for that but I only asked a perfectly reasonable question. My other answer would be stop getting so angry at perfectly liable kind hearted questions.

Axeman said:
What he said, if you have to ask then your more than likely unworthy of Her Majesties Corps of Sappers and Miners.
I have to ask as I am not in the army yet so i'm finding my feet on here first. How can i know about the corps without asking people in it?

If you join the REME, you'll regret it for the rest of your miserable life. To become a gentleman of the Corps is something that many wished they had done.

However, I am slightly biased :wink:

give your head a shake fella.

The Corps or the Dreamy.

no choice.

hurrah.

Only the sappers will give you true job satisfaction. Forget the bungalows and join the Corps of Royal Engineers. :D

If you can laminate small cards with instructions on how to undertake military engineering tasks in the field, then Combat Engineering is for you! On the other hand you want to grovel in the innards of a broken down tank while getting covered in oil, try the AA…sorry the REME.

every soldier that died before becoming a man is replaced in the world by a 1000 men that wish they'd become a soldier...

and at the pearly gates the airborne start a fight, the marines ride boats into it, the infantry sit 100 yards back fixing bayonets, the REME decide what lube to use on the hinges and what size the bolts are meanwhile after an egg banjo or cheesy beans and a quick brew the engineers decide whether to bridge it, mine in front and trust no one, steal them or just blow the feckers to shreads!!

PIN IN!!

The REME isnt a bad choice.

No, really. It's an important job and quite often forgotten just how important. (stop sniggering at the back, it's true..)

If REME downed tools and refused to Soldier, we'd have to send one of our spannermonkeys to go fix the wagons.

It'd take half as long, twice as much harry black and three times as much swearing to achieve, but achieve they would.

On the other hand, if the RE downed tools... oh wait, we wouldnt.... :wink:

Go forth and join the RE and become a Sapper.

It's the best job in the British Army as far as Im concerned, whether youre Armoured, Knocker or something else. (No rose tinted glasses. If you cant wax lyrical (and with pride) about the Corps youre in, well, youve missed the whole 'thing' about being a Sapper )

Read Swordsman's account of his time in the Corps (He's still one of us.. Once a Sapper ALWAYS a Sapper) and then go and read the accounts of when REME rebuilt the Volkswagen company. Theyre both stories of success, but Im sure Swordsman's account will move your soul. if it doesnt, REME are over to the left.. you may want to try them.

mikardo said:
clownbasher said:
And what makes you think they'd want YOU?
I was only asking no need for a backlash :) . My polite answer would be thankyou for that but I only asked a perfectly reasonable question. My other answer would be stop getting so angry at perfectly liable kind hearted questions.
I have never been in the REME or the RE.

Both have their advantages.

A mate of mine did 9 years in the REME and loved it.

Another mate of mine did 6 in the RE and thought it was great.

Each to their own really.

I wouldnt fancy trying to fix a tank engine in the middle of some desolate training area, but then again I wouldnt fancy trying to assemble some bridging section or 'kicking some tin' as an Oggy either.

Good luck in whatever you choose though.

The Sappers? Their contribution in past conflicts, has deserved, and won a great deal of praise from other services. During WW2 their deeds meant that they punched far above their weight. It is the variation of allotted tasks: from assaults, to mine clearing, bridging, and a hundred other tasks, means that life is never dull in the Corps.
Even after 64/5 years I am still immensely proud of what we achieved during the Journey of the RE Field Company from Sword Beach to Bremen.

The Sappers willingness to tackle any request for help, earned them a great deal of genuine respect.... from all the regiments. And earned them the name of: "The Gallant Sappers"
Swordman