Good cover versions and crap cover versions!

I'm currently watching Jools Holland's Hootenanny - Ade Edmondson (a.k.a. Vivien from The Young Ones) doing a swing version of Anarchy In The UK, & he even performed a trumpet solo himself!

Fecking brilliant.

CardinalSin said:
Is it just me or is every single song by Boyzone, Westlife, Blue and Atomic Shitten a terrible, bland, unimaginative cover version? And they've all become f***ing millionaires. Terrible terrible terrible.
The Mick Hucknall cover was brilliant as was The Stranglers.

I'm with CardinalSin, 'pop' groups are cashing in on their popularity and not their talent. The groups you mention CS have based their careers on dishing out cover crap to pre-teens.

Cowell should be ashamed of his Christmas effort, a cover by the line up of the 2005 X-Fuckedher, the vid is nauseating, watching no hopers trying their last shot at 'the big time'.

And Emma Bunton's 'Downtown', it was so like the original (which was naff) that the tubby cow should never be allowed near a microphone again. Put on a miniskirt and a 60's Oxfam wig and the talent-train is surely in motion and it's ching-ching all the way to the bank.

Bruces version of "Dancing in the dark" is classic, but this version by Big Daddy (no not the big fat geriatric wrestler, Shirley Crabtree) is a damn good cover with a bit of a 50s swing to it.

[video=youtube_share;OG7nj9s96TY]http://youtu.be/OG7nj9s96TY[/video]

" Jolene" . White Stripes cover is even better than Dolly Partons original (not the disco-ey one, that's shite). Powerful stuff, this.

A number of people have mentioned the Beatles, but no-one has mentioned Joe Cocker's awesome versions of "With a Little Help From my Friends" and "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window". Also he did a mighty fine "Let it Be".

Good covers.

The Ataris - Boys of Summer
Jamie Callum - The Wind Cries Mary
Limp Biscuit - Behind Blue Eyes

Bad Covers

Nickleback - Saturday Nights All Right For Fighting
Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love

Inversely, ANY Bob Dylan cover is better than the original
I would generally be inclined to agree with you, but the original of Like a Rolling Stone is still the best IMO.
A wider point would be how to define best. For me, I appreciate effort and soul over purity, which is why Janis Joplin is my favourite female singer; she had a cak voice but you know you're getting balls-out, no-holds barred, 100% of the time.

Oh, and I though Rolf's version of Stairway was hilarious, and anyone who takes it too seriously or gets offended by it needs to take a long lie down.

I would generally be inclined to agree with you, but the original of Like a Rolling Stone is still the best IMO.
A wider point would be how to define best. For me, I appreciate effort and soul over purity, which is why Janis Joplin is my favourite female singer; she had a cak voice but you know you're getting balls-out, no-holds barred, 100% of the time.

Oh, and I though Rolf's version of Stairway was hilarious, and anyone who takes it too seriously or gets offended by it needs to take a long lie down.
Fair point, someone said of Joplin ' I watched her wowing a crowd live after she had become famous, they were only seeing 50% of what she could do before the drugs and booze, and even then she blew them away.'

Does anyone remember this Jolene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNYWzF02B4

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Birdy, Skinny Love cover of Bon Iver , I'm not into drippy songs but stopped me dead on a bike ride last year when i heard it first . Now i just drink gin and cry a lot Birdy - Skinny Love [Official Music Video] - YouTube

Also she covered People help the people by Cherry Ghost(nah me neither)
Birdy - People Help The People [Official Music Video] - YouTube

If i may be allowed my the return of my testicles, Joe Cocker Dont let me be misunderstood , originally by Nina Simone
joe cocker don't let me be misunderstood (layer cake soundtrack) - YouTube

Theres some chad layer cake speech at the end , apologies