• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Good cover versions and crap cover versions!

Cover versions of existing songs have been around almost as long as the songs themselves and are nothing new.

A very few cover versions go on to become the classics for that song: witness many cover versions by Ray Charles or Johnny Mathis, to name a few. One of the most famous "cover classics" is probably the version of “Unchained Melody” by Bobby Hatfield of the Righteous Brothers.

So it was with some trepidation that I clicked on this link provided by one of my brothers (who’s a session musician), with the remark to just “‘ave an ‘ear’ole”.

It’s actually a cover of the Stylistics number “You make me feel brand new”, and anybody knows that the Stylistics were/are such an absolute class act that they’d be/are very hard indeed to follow.

But this is a really quite extraordinary live version sung by Micky Hucknall of Simply Red. Why he even attempted such a difficult song using only one voice I’ve no idea, but I personally would say he successfully pulls off a very decent “equal” (at the very least) with the Stylistics original version.

However, judge for yourselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCwbMQANnNs

Enjoy!

Thanks Bugsy.
I clicked on the YouTube link when you posted earlier and my opinion is that Mick Hucknall's cover is absolutely AWESOME! It's a while since I've listened to any Simply Red, but I've always been very impressed by the musicians and production too. And, actually, the whole atmosphere of the set made me wish I was there; it looked like a brilliant concert.

And yes, The Stranglers version of "Walk on by" is one of my favourites, along with Frank Zappa's (or Mothers of Invention's?) version of the Turtles' "Happy Together".

And I'll raise you all the classics that are being butchered by tallentless *ankers who cant write music anymore so 'sample' the origial!!
Remember the sh1tty dance version of Supertramp's 'Dreamer'?

IMHO the Aerosmith cover of Come Together is far better than the Beatles version and dito Pink Floyd vs The Scissor Sisters.

IIRC the church were thinking of increacing the number of deadly sins from 7 to 8 to include "Bad cover versions of classic songs" but somebody mentioned that the Devil has the best tunes. ;)

the_butler said:
The Flying Lizards version of the Beatles "Money" good :D
William Shatners "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" bad :(
William Shatner! Jeez, that really is bargain bin stuff. Consider my cap doffed - anyone top that?

Good cover - Cum on feel the noize, by Oasis.

Corn.

Is it just me or is every single song by Boyzone, Westlife, Blue and Atomic Shitten a terrible, bland, unimaginative cover version? And they've all become f***ing millionaires. Terrible terrible terrible.

That's what annoys me so much about these televised karaoke competitons on telly (x-factor and popstars/pop idol) - not only do they re-do somebody else's song, they re-do somebody else's cover version! For example they'll do the whitney houston version of that dolly parton song or do a mariah carey or christina aguilera version of whatever shite allows them to do lots of "whoahoahaa...wooooo...ohoh...woeeeooo" etc etc. Cnuts.

Oh yeah - another (yes another) pet hate. Those 'dance' tracks which are basically just mediocre MOR R&B songs from the 80s with a thumping bassbeat at about 140 bpm and an overproduced generic voice coupled with lots of high-pitched smurf voices. Usually a nice looking blonde miming in the video though. And they're always by some fictional european music genius calling themselves something like DJ Sammy or whatever. Also cnuts.

Rolf Harris - Stairway To Heaven - verdict - a disgrace to music

CardinalSin said:
Is it just me or is every single song by Boyzone, Westlife, Blue and Atomic Shitten a terrible, bland, unimaginative cover version? And they've all become f***ing millionaires. Terrible terrible terrible.

That's what annoys me so much about these televised karaoke competitons on telly (x-factor and popstars/pop idol) - not only do they re-do somebody else's song, they re-do somebody else's cover version! For example they'll do the whitney houston version of that dolly parton song or do a mariah carey or christina aguilera version of whatever shite allows them to do lots of "whoahoahaa...wooooo...ohoh...woeeeooo" etc etc. Cnuts.

Oh yeah - another (yes another) pet hate. Those 'dance' tracks which are basically just mediocre MOR R&B songs from the 80s with a thumping bassbeat at about 140 bpm and an overproduced generic voice coupled with lots of high-pitched smurf voices. Usually a nice looking blonde miming in the video though. And they're always by some fictional european music genius calling themselves something like DJ Sammy or whatever. Also cnuts.

Rolf Harris - Stairway To Heaven - verdict - a disgrace to music
I totaly agree
but are you simon cowell :roll:

Latest Threads