Good cover versions and crap cover versions!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Bugsy, Dec 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cover versions of existing songs have been around almost as long as the songs themselves and are nothing new.

A very few cover versions go on to become the classics for that song: witness many cover versions by Ray Charles or Johnny Mathis, to name a few. One of the most famous "cover classics" is probably the version of “Unchained Melody” by Bobby Hatfield of the Righteous Brothers.

So it was with some trepidation that I clicked on this link provided by one of my brothers (who’s a session musician), with the remark to just “‘ave an ‘ear’ole”.

It’s actually a cover of the Stylistics number “You make me feel brand new”, and anybody knows that the Stylistics were/are such an absolute class act that they’d be/are very hard indeed to follow.

But this is a really quite extraordinary live version sung by Micky Hucknall of Simply Red. Why he even attempted such a difficult song using only one voice I’ve no idea, but I personally would say he successfully pulls off a very decent “equal” (at the very least) with the Stylistics original version.

However, judge for yourselves:

2. For a classic cover version, and in the opinion of Bacharach the best version, have a look at this.

Walk On By
  3. With you on that one mate. In my top 5 bands.
  4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Led Zeplin vs Rolf Haris....
  5. Thanks Bugsy.
    I clicked on the YouTube link when you posted earlier and my opinion is that Mick Hucknall's cover is absolutely AWESOME! It's a while since I've listened to any Simply Red, but I've always been very impressed by the musicians and production too. And, actually, the whole atmosphere of the set made me wish I was there; it looked like a brilliant concert.

And yes, The Stranglers version of "Walk on by" is one of my favourites, along with Frank Zappa's (or Mothers of Invention's?) version of the Turtles' "Happy Together".
  6. Spike - I'll raise you Pink Floyd vs The Scissor Sisters with their appalling version of "Comfortably numb".

7. Yes.
    Stairway to Heaven = Led Zeppelin
    Comfortably Numb = Pink Floyd
    ............. end of!!
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

And I'll raise you all the classics that are being butchered by tallentless *ankers who cant write music anymore so 'sample' the origial!!
    Remember the sh1tty dance version of Supertramp's 'Dreamer'?
  9. The Flying Lizards version of the Beatles "Money" good :D
    William Shatners "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" bad :(
  10. IMHO the Aerosmith cover of Come Together is far better than the Beatles version and dito Pink Floyd vs The Scissor Sisters.

IIRC the church were thinking of increacing the number of deadly sins from 7 to 8 to include "Bad cover versions of classic songs" but somebody mentioned that the Devil has the best tunes. ;)
  11. William Shatner! Jeez, that really is bargain bin stuff. Consider my cap doffed - anyone top that?

Good cover - Cum on feel the noize, by Oasis.

12. You're not kidding, that needs to come with some kind of health warning "do not watch while eating cheerios as choking may result".

Edited for spelling
  13. How about a slagging match between followers of the Sex Pistols and Sinatra over ‘My Way’? :wink: