Good corps to join for Sport and Adventure training?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by skywalker3012, Feb 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that I shouldn't join a corp because of other activities, but if it's one thing that gives me great performance, it's something interesting to do!

I've got to make my 3 choices and I'm torn between a few different ones. Right now my first choice will be in the AAC as a soldier because of the opportunity of pilot training or just crewman training upon promotion.

There also seems to be good sporting opportunities. I'm not so much into sports like football, rugby or hockey, but I do love things like gliding, parachuting and paragliding (Even though I've not done it :p), and also things like skiing, rowing, and other stuff like that.

I also have my mind set on the Int Corp, but it doesn't seem to do much in that regard. Does anybody know out of experience what would be a good one to join?

2. The frequency by which units are deployed these days you'll only be home long enough to fill up your flask!

3. Cow

Cow LE

Adventure Training 'can' be one of the best bits of the Army, I got some excellent time away. As with anything it's what you make it. Chose a sport and become an instructor. As soon as your in demand you'll go everywhere for virtually no cost. I did my EP Paragliding course in Wales for £50, right bargain!

Choice of unit doesn't really matter, aim for the one which you'll have quals/experience for later on in life. Everyone is in demand so it's trade first fun second at the mo.

4. Thanks Cow, so even if I joined something like Int Corps I'd still be able to try out things like that and learn to be an instructor?

5. Cow

Cow LE

Yep. AT/Sports are open to everyone. It's only the green courses that are closed to those who need them. Not only can you use your Instructor Quals within the Int Corp but if another unit/exercise needs an instructor then, your unit permitting you can see if they'll use you.