Good (cheap!) divorce lawyer wanted.

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by CH512O, Oct 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Going to HERRICK in 2 days time. Not as bad as it seems, been separated for nearly 3yrs. But with upcoming tour we both decided to finalize things. Anyone know a good, but not too expensive divorce firm.
    Used to dealing with soldiers would help, especially when im on tour for next 6 months.
    Everything is all amicable so not looking for long drawn out process...or arguments!
  2. Best of luck with both.
  3. pm bravo_bravo, he's in the midst of it!!
  4. Cheers Bird! :D
  5. *sniggers*
  6. Pararegtom

    Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

    Good (cheap!) divorce lawyer wanted. No such an Animal. :roll:
  7. What he said, solicitors will encourage your ex to take you to the cleaners.

    Go to citizens advice together, Im sure you can divorce for a few tenners if amicable.

    Solicitors will turn it nasty overnight, only they can benefit financially, stay friends, you got married to each other FFS.
  8. PM Judge Dread (MOD on Law Section) he will be able to help, don't know about charges but surely it's what he saves you that's the important thing!
  9. Good advice - my divorce was free. Went to the court, she bought the papers, I signed, job done. No pension sharing, child maintenance sorted, much less painful than bitter rowing.
  10. Cheers for all advice.
    No kids involved and we are still friends so no animosity. We are both agreed what we want out of it so should be relatively painless.
  11. It was free for me :wink:

    If it's been three years, just apply for it through the courts. £300 it cost Mr Dale. That's after I killed him for trying to steal MY dog of course. The bastard, he won't try that again in a hurry. Oh, and I have received no threatening letters or pathetic attempts to take me to court about that matter. Yet. I don't think he's got the minerals.
  12. Good (cheap!) divorce lawyer.

    An oxymoron!

    Besides, no kids, still friends, do it together and both save money.

    Ensure her claim to your pension is relinquished. Likewise with any assets owned prior to marriage such as properties.
  13. If you both wish to part amicably and without the equity of redemption in the family home being converted into legal fees in ancillary relief proceedings then you may file your petiton and statement or arrangements with your local county court and have the empty legal shell of your marriage destroyed without pain and with very little cost.

    HMCS has the information you need, the address of your local court and the fees.

    Your application should be made under section 1(2)(d) Matrimonal Causes Act 1973:

    "that the parties to the marriage have lived apart for a continous period of at least two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition (hereafter in this Act referred to as "two years separation) and that the respondent consents to a decree being granted."

    You will find that the court staff most helpful.
  14. There are 3 aspects to a divorce that you need to consider:

    a) the divorce itself - and if you need to do it on the cheap, Google cheap online divorces and you will come up with a plethora of companies that will send you out the forms (which are free anyway) or complete them for you for a less than £200. As a divorce lawyer (!) I have never used them or had any experience of them so I cannot recommend any or any one particular one of them. You pay your money you take your chances.

    b) the children - and if there is no dispute as to whom the children will reside the statement of arrangements form that is filled out with the original divorce papers (petition) will take care of that as the courts only intervene if there is a dispute. Long gone (thank god) are the days when one parent had custody and the other access to the children.

    c) the finances - this one is more tricky. If you are serving, you need to make sure your pension is dealt with safely and I would NOT recommend you dealing with that on your own - it would be wise money spent to protect that and any other assets you may wish to hold onto. Dont forget, if you dont deal with the finances and presume AS MANY DO, that by simply divorcing you both walk way with what you have, you may find she makes a claim several years later which she is entitled to do. My advice? dont take that risk. At least get a consent order, dismissing all claims each has against the other.


    If you want a decent local solicitor who understand the forces look at Forces Law. I dont know where you are based but all Forces Law solicitors have empathy with HM Armed Forces and will have a serving/ex military person working for them.

    If you need more info just PM me and I would be glad to help.

  15. B_AND_T

    B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

    Admit everything whether right or wrong. Cost her 2 grand in 93 me nothing. However we didnt have property, so probably not the best advice.