Good Byeee!

From the No 10 website:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu.../@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_191634.pdf

On page 28:

"withdraw the Sentinel airborne ground surveillance aircraft once it is no longer required to support operations in Afghanistan."

Unless I'm mistaken this looks like the end of 5 Sqn. What are we to do with all those IAs?
When was the Sentinel R1 ever required to support operations in Afghanistan? It is yet another piece of 'Cold War' legacy equipment that the RAF brought into service years after it had any real use.

I am not sure if this spells the end for 5 Sqn though; they are now operating the Shadow R1, which is proving its worth.

The real question should be: What should the modified Bombardier Global Express business jets be re-roled to?

You seem to forget that the majority of the funding came from the Army budget and the Int Corps couldn't 'man up' with the manpower.

What shall we do with the airframes? I'm sure the PM, Dep PM, Defence Sec, Chancellor and CDS could have one each as VIP jet. Put all the big leather chairs and oak furniture back in, paint them white with a red flash down the side and up the tail, rob a few air stewardesses from VC-10/Tristar fleet, enrol into 32(The Royal) Sqn.....job done!

Seeing as CMD has kicked MRA4 into touch, perhaps they could be re-roled as LRMP? Wouldn't need much, a couple of liferafts, an IR pod and a depthcharge or 2.

Am I right in thinking that both Shadow R1 and Reaper were UOR? If this is the case, there will be no funding for either once the reason for the UOR ceases (i.e HERRICK closes).

Ahh UOR's, don't you just love them? Lets buy a tool, use it once then try to bastardise it to do another job. Or better still chuck it in the garage with the rest of the 3/16 ring spanners.

Unless I'm mistaken this looks like the end of 5 Sqn. What are we to do with all those IAs?
Not necessarily the end of 5 Sqn, although certainly the end of 5 as it is set up now. Just because they wish to get rid of Sentinel does not mean that they wish to lose the capability - put that capability in a RPAS, man it in a similar way to the Reaper squadron, and save a fortune in middle-ranking (FS/SSgt - Sqn Ldr/Major) salaries. A replacement would still need IAs, just not so many, and none with flying pay.......

Any info on the Shadow? I didn't even know they'd started flying it. I remember when the guys at 5 started a rumour they were getting the Reapers, well 39 will be at Waddo so I suppose theyll be quite close.

You seem to forget that the majority of the funding came from the Army budget and the Int Corps couldn't 'man up' with the manpower.

What shall we do with the airframes? I'm sure the PM, Dep PM, Defence Sec, Chancellor and CDS could have one each as VIP jet. Put all the big leather chairs and oak furniture back in, paint them white with a red flash down the side and up the tail, rob a few air stewardesses from VC-10/Tristar fleet, enrol into 32(The Royal) Sqn.....job done!
Oh right lets bin COIST then, or do a tour every 12 months?.........c*ck.

It was declared in-service with the Royal Air Force in December 2008
And will be canned soon. Not bad for a £954 million 10 year contract.

Google is my friend, if Dave is to believed it's goodbye to 5:

RAF - Sentinel R1/ASTOR
Let me see if I have understood this.

Sentinel R1 (ASTOR, a capability under serious discussion as an impending reality while the Berlin Wall stil stood) entered service in 2008, and is a system comprising (I quote from the above):
a radar system capable of both Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) and Moving Target Indicator (MTI) functions. The SAR will enable all-weather, day and night reconnaissance and surveillance to be carried out; the MTI will enable the operators to monitor the activity of mobile ground targets. The second segment comprises two transportable Ground Stations (GS) to support deployed HQ and six mobile GS to support Division and Brigade. Each GS can receive, store and exploit radar information down-linked from the air-platform and present it, via existing communications networks, in a variety of formats to commanders, tacticians and weapons operators on the battlefield.
That is to say, a capability closely analogous to the 20(+)-yr-old USAF J-STARS (see 1991 gulf war image below)
, and will be taken out of service when/before we quit Afghanistan, (say, 2015), after the platform has spent less than half the time in the air than it spent spent generating hot air in offices in the UK?

Another procurement triumph for our MoD, shurely?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TRAZTAZ REME 18