Good bye, Smokey..

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Rocketeer, Aug 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The last of the 16 Canadians to be awarded the Victoria Cross in WWII passed away on Aug. 3... today, he was given the highest honour the country can bestow a simple soldier.. His body was Lain in State in the House of Commons and the Governor-General and Prime Minister representing the people of Canada paid respects for a greatful nation.. His body will be returnerd to Vancouver later for a funeral with full military honours from his old regiment, the Seaforth Highlanders...

Sgt. Smokey - gone from us at age 91...his exploits will not be forgotten and, maybe, will inspire others to do their utmost in service to Queen and Country..

Salute...

2. That's a good one for an 'Enlisted' fellow (The V.C.).

I'd read that he had stood off an SS Tank company or something like that single handed...pretty fine for a PVT.!

I'll raise my glass for him!!

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

4. RIP Old Soldier.

5. Thankyou and long may you rest knowing you have done such that makes us a mere shadow in comparison to your bravery.

6. Rest in Peace.

7. A sad loss, but a life greatly lived. An incredibly brave man who is now reunited with his chums from 60 years ago. Farewell.

At the going down of the Sun,
    And in the Morning,
    We shall remember Them.

8. Yes sad news. All CF members in Ottawa had to pay their respects to him at the Parliament Buildings

9. Good lad...RIP

I'm actually quite touched by this...(not by Trojan i may add)...this is the kind of respect theWW2 boys deserve.

(Nice to see that the Canadians respect their troops too)

10. Not shure we're you're going with this. IMHO Corpse was merely expressing sadness that an acknowledged hero has passed on, USMC or otherwise.

This particular thread is about that individual, and this forum is for all our guests from overseas.

Feel free to PM me if you feel I'm being overly harsh or missing the point.

RIP Smokey.

11. RIP to a soldier who did his duty for humanity, his mates, i trust we all appreciate the freedom he fought for...............