Good books to read.

eejit96

Clanker
Looking for a few good books to get at Christmas as my parents always get me a few books. Preferably in the military/military history genre but open to suggestions. Also anyone know where i can get a copy of the stumpy and sapper book?

"Tank Men" by Robert Kershaw has been a recent high point. Lots of contributions from veterens & paints a very enlightening picture of those that fight under armour.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer - an awesome account of the German Army on the Eastern front. Just finished reading it for the third time.

DSJ

LE
Part way through "Behind Enemy Lines", the autobiography of Sir Tommy MacPherson - recommended.

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
Finished War Dog by Damien Lewis (ISBN 9780751552294) this morning.
Great read and another good insight to the bond between man and dog in war such as I thought 'All about Treo' was.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
AFN Clarke, a Para Officer, wrote Contact about his Para platoon in NI in the 70s many years ago. It was done for TV. I watched it on Youtube some years ago, blissfully unaware that the ten-minute clips were out of sequence and it made no sense, but it generally gets good reviews from those who might pass an informed opinion. I recently found it for the Kindle. Not a bad read.

RRFHASBEEN

Old-Salt
For a good read I'd recommend One Of Our Submarines by Edward Young, his autobiographical account of life in a submarine on active service during WW2. Gives a great account of what day to day life in a sub was really like.

Amazon product

Poppy

LE
•Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger.
•Goodbye To All That by Robert Graves.
Memoirs of a Fox Hunting Man / Memoirs of an Infantry Officer / Sherston's Progress by Siegfried Sassoon.

Three different takes on WW1. The Folio Society do nice editions of all- look in second-hand bookshops for them and pay about £10 each.

On the French Resistance theme, "Carve Her Name With Pride" - the story of Violette Szabo.

Warning: you'll blub like a baby but it's one hell of a (true) story