Gongs Worn On 95?

I think they are TA soldiers from 156 Transport Regt in Liverpool, I remember speaking to a chap who was saying that nobody was wearing 2's untill everybody had FAD.

The_Duke

LE
I think it is under para 5 sub para 25 - "Things that should never be done because **** me, that looks really, really shit."

In fact, they can be worn subject to the agreement of a commander (I can't remember if it is Pde Comd, CO or Bde Comd). Hopefully they have read para 5 sub para 25 shown above and knock the stupid idea on the head.

Apparently cadet AI's are allowed to wear medals with 95's. I queried it yesterday after seeing some mong with them on.

And i agree with The Duke, it does indeed look really really shit

The_Duke

LE
But no more chad than the TA RLC taking part in the Lord Mayor's Show in their desert kit and UN berets with their family walking along side them in T shirts stating "My son(daugter/husband/family member as applicable) has just returned from operations.

I couldn't see clearly enough to be certain but hopefully their float was an imaginative display of Keo beer, deckchairs, windsurfers and parasols to accurately reflect the hardships they had just returned from.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
But no more chad than the TA RLC taking part in the Lord Mayor's Show in their desert kit and UN berets with their family walking along side them in T shirts stating "My son(daugter/husband/family member as applicable) has just returned from operations.

I couldn't see clearly enough to be certain but hopefully their float was an imaginative display of Keo beer, deckchairs, windsurfers and parasols to accurately reflect the hardships they had just returned from.
So you think their families should not be proud of them? The chances are that they either have already or will in the near future serve in a more hostile theatre so what's your problem? Jealous?

The_Duke

LE
So you think their families should not be proud of them? The chances are that they either have already or will in the near future serve in a more hostile theatre so what's your problem? Jealous?
No - I just couldn't believe that they thought it was worth highlighting a 6 month jaunt on a Mediterranean holiday island as "returned from operations". Their role, previous or future service in other (ie real) operations, equipment, skills and training offered - all seem perfectly reasonable themes rather than "look at us - my husband went on holiday to Cyprus and I got was this lousy T shirt".

Please, please tell me you made that up. Please.

My reaction to reading the original post was "Can anything be more chad than that?" - if true then Op TOSCA swanking must be the lowest depth sunk by any unit, regular or TA. It even beats a video I saw of the RWxY shambling through Cirencester in a bizarre mix of poorly fitting No 2s complete with Jubilee and TD gongs, and a mix of green & desert C95 with medals.

Frankly, I'd rather turn up at a Rememberance Day parade dressed as a Leibenstarte SS Sergeant, having blinged up the kit with a kilt, aguillettes and BAOR medal.

Jeezus. Some groups - ACF officers and Op TOSCA-ites come to mind - can't help but play to their worst stereotypes can they? If they want a better rep they may as well punch themselves in the face as they march.

Charlie

The_Duke

LE
Sorry Charlie, but I can't. That was the theme.

Makes you proud, doesn't it? I felt the need to spring to attention with a tear in my eye as I watched them walk past, resisiting the urge to shout out that they were doing us all such a great service in ensuring that Stavros still had his holiday home to return to. Without them, who would sell us kebabs after a night on the slash? Sniff, sniff....

So you think their families should not be proud of them?
No. Not really. I know you probably do but I'd be more proud of taking part in a good MedMan.

The chances are that they either have already or will in the near future serve in a more hostile theatre
Well, when they do they can march through any city on their return in deserts / MTP with their heads held high, and wear the medal when in the appropriate dress. Just like all the other units who've been on war-fighting ops.

Going on ops doesn't make you a hero, and nor does it give you a licence to invite ridicule from the public and other soldiers by dressing like a tit.

so what's your problem? Jealous?
Something tells me that those coming back from Op TOSCA are jealous of the attention more deservedly given to those coming back from HERRICK.

Your hearts obviously in the right place and everything but....

Charlie

Edited to add : Just had a peek at the photo linked from the OP and noticed that the 4 PARA blokes to the rear of the parade weren't wearing medals. Clearly too girly to go on ops, and pant-wettingly jealous of the scarred & bronzed War Gods back from Op TOSCA. When are you going to man the **** up and stag on the Green Line, Duke? Afraid of skin cancer? Would the ever-present risk of a fatal RTA when riding a scooter while pissed wreck your fragile nerves? I hope you hid your sobs of envy and gratitude as the RLC wobbled past, you weakling!

The_Duke

LE
Sod that - the parade was in Liverpool. The dangers of Helmand or even the huge risks to body and mind faced in Cyprus fade into insignificance compared to walking through the streets of Liverpool.

Heroes - every damn one of 'em, and I won't hear anyone say different. Calm down, calm down.......

Medals on c95 does look a bit toss, but I hardly think that an organisation that wears belts on the outside of combat jackets is any position to cast judgement!

The_Duke

LE
What, you mean belts correctly worn slung low in the gunslinger style over very large smocks? Smart as, I tell you.

Only not modelled by the TA RLC because a 190/120 combat jacket needs extra material sewn in before it will even fit them, let alone look baggy, and there is a shortage of quick release straps to use as belts now that heavy drop is rarely practiced in the UK.

I think it is under para 5 sub para 25 - "Things that should never be done because **** me, that looks really, really shit."

In fact, they can be worn subject to the agreement of a commander (I can't remember if it is Pde Comd, CO or Bde Comd). Hopefully they have read para 5 sub para 25 shown above and knock the stupid idea on the head.
I was asked by a dignitary at the post-parade reception our blokes attended why he did not see any medals on our para smocks as were worn by soldiers from other units on their combat jackets. My polite response was on the same lines as The Duke's. In addition, the blokes think it looks gash too!

Latest Threads