gone diffy ?

What's the biggest, most expensive or most dangerous peices of British army kit that have been lost, gone diffy or been stolen ?

Points awarded for bangy things.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
we had to look for a number of minime's during herrick 12, didn't find them but a wmik turned up in an inso container in LKG. one that'd been written off through enemy action a couple of years before. which is odd as it looked in almost perfect condition....

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
We also lost the whole of America a while ago.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
we had to look for a number of minime's during herrick 12, didn't find them but a wmik turned up in an inso container in LKG. one that'd been written off through enemy action a couple of years before. which is odd as it looked in almost perfect condition....

I nicked 4 LSWs from the Kingos' armoury when I was on sick leave and 300 miles away.

That's how clever I am.

The UN "lost" some minefields in Bosnia back in 2000, but it turns out that the Canadian Lt Col at the Mine Action Centre was putting red dots on the map in places where there weren't any mines "so that the donors would contribute more funds".

Edited to add, Oh, they werent Brit army kit though. Never mind it was a good scam anyway.

I think an Engineer unit in Macedonia (pre Kosovo crossing) lost a CVRT if I remember right. Can't remember what unit though, and about the same time the Septics lost a Humvee along with a couple of guys up in Kumanovo. Turned out they weren't lost, the Serbs had them all along.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I lost my temper in RHQ once

I lost my legs, but they weren't worth much according to the Army.

I worked with an Old n' Bold Cav LE Major who told me when his regt switched from Chieftain to Challenger they were two entire tanks diffy. No one could account for them so the QM did some creative accounting that saw the hulks retrospectively cast as range targets.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I lost my legs, but they weren't worth much according to the Army.

well that beats me when I lost the will to live on the medical thread a while ago.

Not sure if this was urban legend or not, but supposedly the Seaplane station at Tofino BC once lost a docking float to a storm, through creative bookkeeping it was downgraded to a seaplane float (landing gear type), to a Float-Carburator-Seaplane. which was paid for out of the C/O's pocket.

Not sure if this was urban legend or not, but supposedly the Seaplane station at Tofino BC once lost a docking float to a storm, through creative bookkeeping it was downgraded to a seaplane float (landing gear type), to a Float-Carburator-Seaplane. which was paid for out of the C/O's pocket.

What's a docking float?