Gone Deaf - Otex or Olive Oil

Longlenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I have tried numerous things over the years to alleviate this problem, syringing, oil of various types and having them hovered out at hospital. I have recently bought some Qgrips, these are brilliant, it is the only thing that will clear the wax, I have been able to hear better for the first time in years.

Yokel

LE
I had then syringed on Wednesday or Thursday - sorry I cannot remember which. Apparently my ear canals are an odd shape meaning I am more prone to waxing than normal. The nurse advised against Qgrips, but suggested periodical use of a ear bulb to squirt in olive oil or similar.

Ear still feels odd.

What did Stuka pilots do ?
804F13D4-2164-4CB3-B2AF-D8353E11E6DD.jpeg

Yokel

LE
My right ear hole still itches. Any ideas? would regularly flushing out with olive oil/Otex/etc help? I am sure I poke myself in the ear whilst asleep, which will compact any wax in there.

Always the right ear - no idea why.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
My right ear hole still itches. Any ideas? would regularly flushing out with olive oil/Otex/etc help? I am sure I poke myself in the ear whilst asleep, which will compact any wax in there.

Always the right ear - no idea why.
Usually my left ear. I put a smear of skin cream on little finger tips and rub it in. Works a treat.

It's normally my left ear which plays up, that's down to my in-ear earpiece from my personal radio at work. I need to get my ear looked at whilst I'm on leave, my hearing is down about 50%

WATERPIK WATER FLOSSER CLEANS EARS - I just found a new solution that works for me. I have a Waterpik water flosser for my teeth LINKY and I've been using it on its LOWEST SETTING with warm water as an ear syringe.
The first time I used it, with great care, a pea-size lump of hardened wax came out of each ear, even though I'd recently used hydrogen peroxide several times over the previous week.
I've used it several times now, and won't be going back to liquid solutions.
Obviously, make sure you use the lowest setting with warm, body temperature water, and start with care to ensure it's right for you. Just lean over a basin with the ear to be treated lowermost, and wiggle the jet around. You'll feel it working. Pulling the ear lobe downwards also helps to open the ear canal.

Have you tried crystal meth yet? I found it works wonders wrt clearing the airways / improving hearing

Caution: Can make your eyes water

Top Tip: Best to add tiny (really tiny) bits at a time to a beaker of freshly boiled water, with a towel over your head & your eyes closed

Note: Rumours that it clears Covid pretty quickly are just rumours

View attachment 564725
Many moons ago I had a really bad head cold and in my dazed state I decided to put some menthol crystals in a bath and have a long soak. The steam from the bath was very promising but when I got into the bath and the menthol hit my ******** I hit the ceiling. It didn't help my cold but it cleared my ears out.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's normally my left ear which plays up, that's down to my in-ear earpiece from my personal radio at work. I need to get my ear looked at whilst I'm on leave, my hearing is down about 50%
In 82 I transferred out of Recce after seven years of having live IC hissing in my right (iirc. It's 40 years ago) ear. Attached to a REME workshop, I immediately found myself in a queue for a hearing test, which told me I was 85% deaf in that ear. Surprise. Blissfully unaware.

Very nearly three years later, coming to end of tour, the test team visited again. Sat three years commanding a desk, both ears were entirely normal.

Tell that to Zero Alpha, who swears I'm deaf, but doesn't get that after seven years of working A set in one ear, and monitoring B set and IC in the other, I can filter out what's unimportant to me. Doesn't help she hasn't heard of RSVP and generally mumbles while looking anywhere but at me. If course it's my fault.

Even when my ears are in full working order, I have developed perfect selective deafness when it comes to MrsHogg and her bone suggestions - thankfully she is a technophobe and will never see this confession. XD

Recently my wife (only in her mid 30s btw) complained of a loss of hearing, initially attributing it to long Covid. Phone consultation with GP suggests substantial wax build up. Given olive oil. Exacerbates the problem. Contacts GP again. Told to persist with olive oil. Asks about syringing. Not allowed at present due to covid.

At this point I'm at my wit's end trying to communicate with her as it's akin to an old couple shout at each other in the supermarket. Lo' and behold, you can get your ears syringed privately for £60 covid or not. The difference is night and day.

So while the NHS VC GC DSM BAR may have saved millions of people from covid (or rather mostly stopped old fatties with multitude comorbidity succumbing to seasonal flu for a year or whatever), numerous preventable/treatable ailments go unchecked.

Yokel

LE
I have also heard about that in my area - but in my case I simple got referred to another practice that was doing it. It simply meant a thirty minute drive and some awkward parking.

Who makes these policies and and for what reason?

Nothing to do with earwax but if you remember the days of beach tar ( basically crude oil dumped from ships tanks ) - olive oil rubbed in would disperse it from your foot instantly.

Latest Threads