Gone Deaf - Otex or Olive Oil

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

Yokel

LE
Dive bombing was both physically taxing and intellectually demanding on pilots. Before a bombing run, Stuka crews were required to go through a dizzying checklist that included the following steps:

Landing flaps at cruise position
Elevator at cruise position
Rudder trip at cruise position
Contact altimeter ON
Contact altimeter set to release altitude
Supercharger set at automatic
Throttle fully closed
Cooler flaps closed
Dive brakes open

As soon as the dive brakes were activated, the Stuka’s nose would automatically turn down and the plane would begin its descent. The maximum dive-speed was 600 km/h (373 mph).

Once the bombs were released, the contact altimeter warning would light. The pilot would toggle a knob on the control column that would trigger an automatic pull-out. It was a handy feature that prevented the plane from ploughing into the ground — during recoveries, crew were subject to a black-out inducing force of some six Gs.

from

Only on ARRSE could a question about hearing loss and ear wax removal result in a discussion of Luftwaffe Stuka techniques.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Only on ARSE could a question about hearing loss and ear wax removal result in a discussion of Luftwaffe Stukeley techniques.

They started it... Etc

endure

GCM

Works a treat...

anglo

LE
Too true. I'm sitting in my 40 bedroom mansion living off the proceeds of commission on a 10 quid earhole hoover ;-)
Mind you it doesn't surprise me, people are multimillionaires selling bog paper,
and people have only one arse, selling ear vacs should make double the money,:)

endure

GCM
Hoover them ears out boys! I've got a gold plated loo to pay for!

I went deaf for a while which being an RTG wasn’t the best career move anyhow I was walking to the cookhouse when my “mate” decided to buzz me in his wagon but had forgotten I’d gone deaf and ran me over. Just to top it off as I lay there moaning some ropey old RP fullscrew came along and started poking me with his stick for mucking about outside the officer mess.

The moral to this dit is walk around with a huge ear horn until fixed.

Otex. It dissolves the ear wax, you can hear it fizzing as it gets to work.

The doctors told me to put some Otex in my ears prior to syringing. When they peered in my ears prior to syringing, there was nothing they could syringe out.

It didn't do me any good, my ears were going on permanent strike in protest at the abuse they'd received.
Say again. over

Too true. I'm sitting in my 40 bedroom mansion living off the proceeds of commission on a 10 quid earhole hoover ;-)
Well done mate, are you sure it isn't that massive army pension that civvies think we get