Gone Deaf - Otex or Olive Oil

Yokel

LE
I seem to have gone a bit deaf in my right ear. I suspect this is due to wax and laying on it. I went to Boots to get some Otex, but instead opted for the cheaper option of olive oil. Which is more effective - Otex contains urea hydrogen peroxide and breaks up the wax. What does the olive oil do?

I believe they are no doing ear syringing at the moment.

What? Speak up.....

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
olive oil is good for softening wax prior to syringing, best put in warm (not hot)

a study a few years ago had people putting in olive oil daily for a period of time and overall they had more ear wax..

F0214004-01

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

Before doing ear moulding for the custom fit hearing protection we discovered a lot of rather daft people (mainly artillery) had "helpfully cleaned" their ears with a variety of ******* stupid items from ear buds (device of the devil) car keys to the more exotic like a rifle cleaning brush.

I seem to have gone a bit deaf in my right ear. I suspect this is due to wax and laying on it. I went to Boots to get some Otex, but instead opted for the cheaper option of olive oil. Which is more effective - Otex contains urea hydrogen peroxide and breaks up the wax. What does the olive oil do?

What? Speak up.....

Amazon product

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
A doctor chap on the 'tinternet I watched recently said using hot water in the shower (letting it run in by tilting your head) helps emulsify the wax and allows for it to come out more naturally.

I've used Otex previously and whilst it fizzes away reassuringly, it still takes days for the ear to unblock. These days I just tend to use a heat bag near the area and a bit of massage.

Yokel

LE
The trouble with putting drops or any other kind of liquid in one ear, is that it runs out of the other ear.

In Turkey the burn the wax out of your ears, can Turkish barbers do the same?

Ritch

LE

What? Speak up.....

NHS clinics aren't doing syringing but private ones are. I just spent £70 on a two visit solution. I'd been trying both olive oil (rapeseed too) and other solutions but I couldn't shift it. It had impacted good and proper.

slick

LE

What? Speak up.....
I use Otex, then give it a blast with this a couple of minutes afterwards.... Boots ear cleaning spray

lert

LE
vincent_van_gogh_self_portrait_painting_musee_dorsay_via_wikimedia_commons_promojpg.jpg

Has the OP thought of a more....permanent solution?

The son of a friend of mine in charge of 3 young soldiers had set up a comms relay station somewhere in the Judean hills when one of his squaddies started suffering from earache. He had no conventional remedies but recalled something about warm oil in the ear for earache. The only oil he could find was from a tin of tuna in the rats so that's what he administered to his squaddie. Interestingly enough, it worked and the squaddy's earache went away. I reckon his mates must have wanted to go away too.

Last edited:

Poppycock

Old-Salt
What? Speak up.....
Have you tried crystal meth yet? I found it works wonders wrt clearing the airways / improving hearing

Caution: Can make your eyes water

Top Tip: Best to add tiny (really tiny) bits at a time to a beaker of freshly boiled water, with a towel over your head & your eyes closed

Note: Rumours that it clears Covid pretty quickly are just rumours

menthol crystals.jpg

Any doctors or audiologists reading - look away now!

I suffer periodically from bad earwax - it seems factual that as you get older the wax gets worse. Anyway, when I sense it becoming a problem I gently insert the end of a 100ml syringe (sans needle!) down the old ear tube, then very gently pull the plunger out whilst holding the syringe in place. It is AMAZING the amount of brown gunk that comes out. It takes a bit of practice to do, but works for me.

Schmoe

War Hero
Look up micro suction, it’s available from Boots, Specsavers and most private gp’s.
It is available as I had my ear done last week.
Saves a lot of faffing with crap that just gives you a messy feeling ear.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This has happened to me a couple of times. I always seem to get it on holiday for some reason. Not sure if it’s going on a plane, or from swimming, or what.

Got some over the counter drops that seemed to do absolutely **** all.

After about a fortnight of deafness I bought a DIY syringing kit off Amazon and immediately pulled a pea sized blob of shite out of each ear.

I’m sure the drops helped to loosen it up but the syringe was the business.

Basically a normal syringe but with a weird rubber bit on the end.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I remember being told this around '89 "put nothing in your ear any further than you can get your own elbow"

and have used it ever since

Latest Threads