Golf under fire

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by scarletto, Sep 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found this on another site,about genuine rules that were brought in during WW2 for British Golfers.

1) During gunfire or while bombs are falling,players may take cover without penalty for slow play.

2) Players should pick up bomb or shell splinters rom the fairways to prevent them damaging the mowers.

3)The position of known delayed action bombs is marked by flags at a resonable distance but is not guaranteed safe distance.

4)Bomb splinters and shrapnel can be moved from greens or elsewhere when within one club length. No penalty.

5)A ball moved by enemy action can be replaced at its original position. No penalty if a ball is lost or destroyed, a free drop is allowed.

6)A free drop is allowed for any ball resting in a bomb crater.

7) A player whose stroke is affected by the noise of a bomb or by machinegun fire, may replay the shot under penalty of one stroke.
  2. I'm sh1te enough as it is without those added distractions!
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

IIRC the golf club at RAF Akrotiri had a hole which played down the back off the hospital where there was a HLS
    The rules (again dodgey memory) stated something like
    Players should look around and check for helicopters
    Players should not tee off and drive towards the HLS if a helicopter is landing or on the HLS

On a separate point I remember leending some Harrier pilots a sherpa when we were on detachment at Inverness airport as they had logged all the local courses on the flight up before they landed and had their clubs stored away on the plane

I'm suprised that nobody has set up at least a pitch and put in Iraq or Afghanistan it's normally one of the first things that gets put in
  4. The Golf COurse on the UNPA in Nicosia

I used a 9 iron off from my greeny on I think it was the 11th, the ball

bounced on the runway and came to a stop about 900 feet away

I am claiming it as the worlds longest shot
  5. I thought this was about the Armagh watchtowers being mortared. Bugger.
  6. msr

msr LE

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Sorry - I'm claiming it. Going of the 4th (?), short par3 at the West Cornwall golf course at Lelant, sliced the ball of the tee into a carriage off the train going from Cornwall to Paddington. They never dropped the ball of on the return either :cry:
  8. With my non conforming driver i'll drive you all into the ground.

If i don't slice it. I must learn to keep that bloody elbow in. :cry:

9. Hard luck

once a ball leaves the confines of the course, then its deemed out of play

I take it the train tracks is outside the confies,

the runway on the UNPA wasnt

my record still stands

my parents are so proud
  10. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Course is split in to by the track - no OOB markings but a very big trespassers will be nicked sign. So unless the runway splits the course :!:
  11. Hello,

don't the Americans have a course which is sometimes fired upon by North Korean sentries?

12. Your a bad bad man :lol: