Golf & Romeo Towers - Google Earth?

Adjutant

Old-Salt
Calling all recipients of the GSM with clasp Northern Ireland...

Was trying to geo-tag a couple of old photos the other day. To cut a long story short, I'm trying to find where some of the Golf and Romeo Towers were on Google Earth but I'm not 100% sure if I've got the right places. If anyone can look on Google Maps (other online maps are available...) and send me the lat & long, I'd be grateful... G20 and G30 are the top of my list.

If anyone's feeling nostalgic, some photos here:

https://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&ALID=29YL530XPXPX

Thanks,

Adjutant

lill

Old-Salt
i can't help you on the G & R designated towers, but Foxfield sangar at Forkhill (the predecessor to the tower concept) is located at: 54 04' 45.56" 6 26' 34.17"
you can see the concreted of the foundations of the main OP, the helipad (5 o'clock from the OP) and at 6 o'clock from that, the location of where the radio mast was

There's a Youtube vid of G20 being lifted. This might be it - bandwith Nazis won't let me view it, and in the intervening 20 years I've forgotten where exactly we used to go to watch the Pumas lobbing out the scran, papers and RUC...

Last edited:

Duke_of_Kaos

War Hero
OSGB NI only from 1:50,000 patrol map

G10 8950 1454 at the 163 spot height by Creevekeeran

G20 9309 1305 at the 135 spot at Drummuckavall

G30 9670 1413 south of Glassdrumman

G40 0002 1068 Southern edge of Croslieve Summit

R23 0228 1549 north west of the 264 spot of Tievecrom

R21 0625 1810 Southern at 241 spot height

R13 0520 2558 Northern slope facing BBK

R12 & R13 Stugan Mountain 0150 2560

R observing A1 number forgotten on Cloghoge Mountain 0808 2313

Sent whilst the sand is out of the wifi.

There's a Youtube vid of G20 being lifted. This might be it - bandwith Nazis won't let me view it, and in the intervening 20 years I've forgotten where exactly we used to go to watch the Pumas lobbing out the scran, papers and RUC...

The dust cloud kicked up at the end of that video was desiccated spunk.

Fact.

ches

LE
Before the Golf towers went in i 'inadvertently' set fire to a rusk load of grass/heather/gorse shite on one of the sites where we used to have an OP sangar. Dit is on here somewhere, often wondered how long it took to grow back.

chimera

LE
Sorry to revive such an old thread but I've been doing some quite extensive research into these towers and have managed to identify all 12 locations of each of the Golf and Romeo towers in South Armagh after quite a painstaking study.

I've also submitted an FOI request to see if any plans/elevations still exist for them but I'm not confident. It amazes me that for structures which dominated the landscape within such prominently Republican territory for over 30 years, how little information on them exists within the public domain.
I would be surprised if any significant plans exist, as they were not really built "in one go" but kept evolving with new bits being added, sangers replaced/upgraded etc over the decade and a half that they existed. So if you don't get much of a response it will be because things were not recorded rather than some tin foil hat conspiracy.

chimera

LE
Go for one of the "Big Three" Creevekeeran, Drummuckavall, or Glassdrumman. Whilst there wil be differences in layout etc, the basic principles will be the same for each. To be honest the bit you probably won't get is the engineering spec of the sangars (which changed every so often, and would be upgraded/uparmoured ad hoc), and what went in them in terms of optics etc.

Old-Salt
I am not sure why you think there was nothing built on Croslieve, either I have been dreaming for all these years or the RE made a very good job of removing all traces. A newspaper report of the time agrees with me:

The OP had a massive radio mast (about 50m high) which was on concrete bases. There were massive containers for living accn and mains water and power piped in around 1987. Also a Klargester sewage system.

Old-Salt
The final Cloghoge site beside the A1 south of Newry was actually the second site in that location, built in about 1988 when the site moved back there. Prior to that the checkpoint was manned from Fathom Mountain for three or four years and had moved there from the first Cloghoge site!

Were they the larger ones then? From what I've been able to glean from Google Earth, the one up on Croslieve (G40) was also rather substantial, as was R16 sat overlooking the A1 at Cloghoge (the helipad is still visible on Google Maps).
I'm developing my thesis around them at the moment, so climbed up Croslieve last week to get a better view of the Ring of Gullion but was in cloud cover annoyingly so only got views towards the north and west hilltops (R12 on Sugarloaf, R11 on Sturgan, G40 on Croslieve, R23 on Tievecrom, and then R13 & R13A on Camlough).
I've been looking quite extensively into the observational spots (and consequential blind spots) of each of the towers in relation to their elevation. Donovan Wylie's book claims they could identify a car up to 35km and read its number plate at 25km so they were pretty substantial. Interestingly, the army never built anything on Croslieve (whose peak sits at 573m), so despite all the towers, the mountain left quite a gaping blindspot in their coverage.
R16 was the patrol base formally R15 which got wacked by a proxy on the 24/10/90 during the re build they moved it of the A1 100mtrs up Cloghoge mountain access from search bay/sangar to patrol base was via a chicken run(as we called it).
The Obersavation tower on top of the mountain was R14 and was 2 week stags 1 section x commander 24 on 24 off and was great to get away from the bullshite R16 until the replen arrived which was the a ball ache as the guys on rest had to hump the goddies from the heli pad up the mountain with no chicken run for protection how no-body got wacked doing this is nothing more slack drills by the local ASU..............

I would be surprised if any significant plans exist, as they were not really built "in one go" but kept evolving with new bits being added, sangers replaced/upgraded etc over the decade and a half that they existed. So if you don't get much of a response it will be because things were not recorded rather than some tin foil hat conspiracy.
At a blind guess, TICRE should hold copies of every report or design done by DCRE NI who certainly sent archive copies there in period.

Latest Threads