• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Goldsmith urges torture probe - BBC News Page!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6240674.stm

Lord Goldsmith has called for an inquiry into how illegal torture techniques came to be used by British soldiers in Iraq.
The Attorney General denied giving army chiefs permission to use sleep deprivation, hooding, stress positions and other techniques on prisoners.

He told MPs he had not been asked for advice on the treatment of detainees.

But he said commanders should have been aware of the Geneva Convention and anti-torture treaties.

He told MPs and peers in a hearing of the Joint Committee on Human Rights: "These techniques were outlawed on a cross-party basis in 1972.

"We have to seek why anyone thought these were permissible techniques. I think there needs to be an inquiry.

"I certainly agree that there is a matter of grave concern as to how these techniques came to be used, who authorised them and on what basis."

He added: "I can't believe that anybody high up in the Army needed to be told, in any event, that our obligations under the Geneva Conventions and criminal law did not permit the treatment of detainees in any way that was degrading or inhuman contrary to Articles 2 and 3 of the European Convention (on Human Rights)."

Lordy Lordy.. is that flapping noise the sound of Establishment umberellas being opened???

Looks like a case of 'Cover my arse before anyone actually points the finger' to me!!!

Edit to add: 'Wasn't me Guv .. honest. I'm just a poor unsuspecting Government appointed stooge .. oops I mean lawyer'

This sounds to me llike a man who wants to create a sh!t storm that errupts after he steps down.

Is this the same man who gave the legal OK to El B. Liar in private then re-wrote his opinion?

Is this the same Goldsmith who just announced his resignation?

That smacking noise you here, is the sound of a great big lawyer's arrse being covered AND , "A big boy did it and ran away"

Scum.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
romach said:
This sounds to me llike a man who wants to create a sh!t storm that errupts after he steps down.

Is this the same man who gave the legal OK to El B. Liar in private then re-wrote his opinion?
Yes, the self-same piece of cr@p that re-wrote the law when it came to sending us to war. He now thinks that the results of HIS illegal war need investigating.

Why doesn't he also call for an enquiry into his own advice?

THat revolting piece of sh1t called Goldsmith makes me puke and my p1ss boil at the same time - not a pretty sight.

I hope that fcuk dies a slow and horrible death somewhere - revolting fcuker.

Biped said:
romach said:

Yes, the self-same piece of cr@p that re-wrote the law when it came to sending us to war. He now thinks that the results of HIS illegal war need investigating.

Why doesn't he also call for an enquiry into his own advice?
Because he's a spineless cunt who thinks consequences are for the little people, just like the rest of them.

Hmm. Does Tony's crony anticipate the opening of a can of worms? The chief law officer of the government should have been aware of the legal status of the treatment of detainees/prisoners...strange that the Heath legislation relating to NI was mysteriously "lost". I imagine there would have been coalition-wide procedures needing sign-off at whatever level, and the joint force commanders had their own Service lawyers. This can't be pinned on squaddies simply breaching clear rules.