• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Golden Jubilee!

I'm sure this little topic has been done to death but i thought i'd just stir it up a little.

"rant on!" Why does a person have to serve 5 years before they can qualify for a golden jubilee medal?
is it not enough for that person to be serving during 2002?
I find this an absolute disgrace that having served on no fewer than 6 operational tours i do not qualify for said medal.
Yet another example of someone somewhere cutting cost and at the same time alienating younger service personell
who have given their childhood in service of this country.
Being an un-named medal, i for one will wait until i get out and buy a "replacement" and display it as if i "earnt" it.
I think i've done enough jumping through hoops to be worried about missing a medal by a couple of months!
"rant off!"

Don't worry mate, her diamond jubilee is coming up you'll get one of those if they produce one!

*opens drawer and looks at Golden Jubilee Medal*

Why not add the 'HMS Amethyst' bar to your GSM whilst your at it; you probably didn't qualify for that either. If you've not got a GSM, just put one up, don't let that boring 'You don't qualify for it, Walt!' argument get in the way.

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
Jock - I am surprised that you are that bothered by it. Most of the people I know were faintly amused at best to have it and no-one takes it seriously. It only says that you joined before a certain date (1 Apr 98 - pedants correct me if I am wrong - I am guessing. Shows how bothered I was, doesn't it?!).

It is really is not important - those 6 tours (I am guessing Iraq, Afghanistan, maybe a Kosovo or Sierra Leone) - those are medals to be proud of.

My advice - sack it mate - you earned the medals that are worth wearing.

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
jockaneese said:
I'm sure this little topic has been done to death but i thought i'd just stir it up a little.

"rant on!"
Why does a person have to serve 5 years before they can qualify for a golden jubilee medal? Because those were the rules laid down. Ours is not to reason why.
is it not enough for that person to be serving during 2002? No. Would you give an admin discharge a medal?
I find this an absolute disgrace that having served on no fewer than 6 operational tours i do not qualify for said medal. BooHoo. Don't your tour medals mean enough?
Yet another example of someone somewhere cutting cost and at the same time alienating younger service personell
who have given their childhood in service of this country. Erm - a) I don't feel alienated by medals awarded before I joined up, and b) Childhood service? WTF is that? Cadets?
Being an un-named medal, i for one will wait until i get out and buy a "replacement" and display it as if i "earnt" it. That will make you a Walt, then
I think i've done enough jumping through hoops to be worried about missing a medal by a couple of months! If you're not worried, why moan about it then?
"rant off!"

Bore off :roll:

Fugly thank you for that interesting addition to the discussion, in future please learn to read.
My actual quote was "given their childhood" in service of this country, not "childhood service"
And interestingly i probably wouldn't give an admin discharge any medals,
I think a happy medium would be 5 years service as long as 2002 was in there somewhere.
This medal was not awarded before i joined up, it was during my service!
"Walt." a lovely buzz word, I bet you were the guy in your gaff that run around talking about "WMDs" and "7/11" and "11/11" and every other word that was in at the moment to make yourself look clever.
my final point was i'm still going to get the medal even though i missed out
of the qualification period by a couple of months, i never once said i was "worried"
in conclusion fugly, learn to read, and once done so then you can perhaps make valuable contributions to the discussion.

Jack-daniels i suppose your right,
*opens drawer and looks at kosovo, macedonia, bosnia, iraq (with clasp) and afghanistan osm*

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
Jock - I am not going to fight Fugly's battles for him. But you would be branded the sort of person that most soldiers despise the most by such an action - someone who has lied about their service, that is the simple definition of a walt and most people feel that way.

But if you are that bothered by a small piece of metal on a bit of brightly coloured fabric that no-one other than you really gives 2 sh!ts about - crack on wee man.

But I am now really impressed that you have given me your resume of military service............YAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWNNNNNNN. Good Night - I have come over all tired now.

jockaneese said:
Fugly thank you for that interesting addition to the discussion, in future please learn to read.
My actual quote was "given their childhood" in service of this country, not "childhood service"
And interestingly i probably wouldn't give an admin discharge any medals,
I think a happy medium would be 5 years service as long as 2002 was in there somewhere.
This medal was not awarded before i joined up, it was during my service!
"Walt." a lovely buzz word, I bet you were the guy in your gaff that run around talking about "WMDs" and "7/11" and "11/11" and every other word that was in at the moment to make yourself look clever.
my final point was i'm still going to get the medal even though i missed out
of the qualification period by a couple of months, i never once said i was "worried"
in conclusion fugly, learn to read, and once done so then you can perhaps make valuable contributions to the discussion.

Jack-daniels i suppose your right,
*opens drawer and looks at kosovo, macedonia, bosnia, iraq (with clasp) and afghanistan osm*
There you go Jock, you've earnt enough mate, no need to worry about a freebie.

I suppose if you want to be a cnut you could go and buy the Jubilee Medal and put it up next to your well-earned, legitimate gongs. Why on earth would you want to though? This is where I fail to understand the logic. who are you seeking to impress FFS? I would be more impressed by your campaign medals and the implied service they demonstrate than by any number of LS or commemorative medals.

Oh well, go ahead and then hopefully someone will notice your "new arrival" and mark you down as a wannabe...although what you wannabe I really am not quite sure. Why not buy a regimental tie of some unit you quite like the look off but weren't in whie you are at it? Or appoint yourself as a baronet or a Major general too?

Catch yourself on...

You know what....
After having a little hunt around google etc i've seen the error of my ways,
I guess it just p*ssed me off that i missed out by such a small amount.
I'll stick to the ones i've got.
Any more and i'll start to walk around all lop sided.
Thanks for the voices of reason.
Peace out Y'all.

jockaneese said:
no fewer than 6 operational tours
How many?

jockaneese said:
opens drawer and looks at 1kosovo, 2macedonia, 3bosnia, 4iraq (with clasp) and 5afghanistan osm*
:p

Silver Jubilee = Nickel/Silver Medal
Golden Jubilee = Gold coloured medal (looking to many like a choccie one).
Diamond Jubilee = ?

Just a bit of fun you understand.

Social_Handgrenade said:
jockaneese said:
no fewer than 6 operational tours
How many?

jockaneese said:
opens drawer and looks at 1kosovo, 2macedonia, 3bosnia, 4iraq (with clasp) and 5afghanistan osm*
:p
Perchance more than one tour in a hot and sandy place - you don't get extra gongs for going back, you know.

Shush, don't spoil it!

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
*Fugly takes reading lessons*

Okey dokey....

jockaneese said:
Even given the slight twist in the quote, I still can't fathom how you can "give your childhood" in service to your country, and you'll have to explain that one in crayola for the unedumacated like myself.

jockaneese said:
And interestingly i probably wouldn't give an admin discharge any medals, I think a happy medium would be 5 years service as long as 2002 was in there somewhere.
Best tell HM to change history then, and fudge her dates...

jockaneese said:
I was too busy polishing my Jubilee medal ;) - and buzz word or not, wearing a medal you aren't entitled to makes you a Walt. If you don't like the term "Walt", try the term "Cunt". As also pointed out, I can't see why you are bothered about a token medal when you have plenty of worthy Campaign medals. (BTW, 5<6 ;) )

To be honest, a medal group looks better without it because the diameter of the medal is smaller than that of other operational ones, and the group looks unbalanced. (in my nit-picking opinion). Mine is next to my Telic medal, and looks ridiculous being so much smaller.

jockaneese said:
You know what....
After having a little hunt around google etc i've seen the error of my ways,
I guess it just p*ssed me off that i missed out by such a small amount.
I'll stick to the ones i've got.
Any more and i'll start to walk around all lop sided.
Thanks for the voices of reason.
Peace out Y'all.

Hi matey

I read the regulations for the handing out of the GJM's all round and noticed that it said requires an "aggregate" service of 5 years or more at the qualifying date. Thus persons who have had a break in service but who can still claim a total of five years service or more and where serving on that particular qualifying date can legitimately pester relevant authorities for bling gratification.

PogS

I lost out on a bar due to an admin cock up, but you don't hear me going on about it.

Well actually, you do, come to think of it.

Look on the bright side - you stand a chance of getting the Charles Silver Jubilee Medal, whereas I won't. Although, if they keep raising the age limit, who knows?

You never know, Charlie boy might issue a Coronation medal.........