golden jubilee medal entitlement

#1
hi all, ive herd a recent rumour that soldiers that where in the t.a in june 2002 are now entitled to a jubilee medal? before you had to have completed 5 years before they gave it to you? any one herd different???
 
#2
No, in 1988 left in 97 with a break of a few months before joining the TA. And no I dont have any campaign medals because I've never served outside the UK ( apart from the Hebs ) If that makes me a lesser man or worse soldier than my peers then so be it.
 
#3
If you havent got a gong yet and you really want one, the QGJM is not the one you want, mincing around with just that on your chest is a pish-taking magnet!
My last mess had several who only had the QGJM, most were Navy Dental Hygienists, they took more abuse than the ones with none!
 
#5
tattybadger said:
£25 and you can have mine - they're shite and a waste of money.
They were to begin with, but it's now interest to see who isn't wearing one at Mess functions.
 
#6
Pararegtom said:
tattybadger said:
dingerr said:
tattybadger said:
£25 and you can have mine - they're shite and a waste of money.
They were to begin with, but it's now interest to see who isn't wearing one at Mess functions.
Nothing to do with being incorrectly dressed then!

Regardless, they were still a waste of money and a ropey bauble denoting nothing at all. I would rather the cash had been spent on bigger JDAMs.

Does not our Royal Duke of Wessex wear the said Medal.He failed the RM and he got that gong as a consolation prize.
Could we not replace a JDAM with him - call it a Jolly Duke And Mincer and drop him from a harrier on the Taleba then watch him mince his way around that lot - they'd all die laughing.
 
#7
polar69 said:
No, in 1988 left in 97 with a break of a few months before joining the TA. And no I dont have any campaign medals because I've never served outside the UK ( apart from the Hebs ) If that makes me a lesser man or worse soldier than my peers then so be it.
That was aimed at the author of the thread, not you polar69.
 
#9
Give it another 3 years and they might dish out a Diamond jubilee one :D
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#10
Pararegtom said:
Does not our Royal Duke of Wessex wear the said Medal.He failed the RM and he got that gong as a consolation prize.
He didn't fail he dropped out. I knew some one who was on the same course as him who said that he was doing pretty well - he just did not want to be there. In fact he had to show considerable balls to stand up to his dad and move on from something he did not want to do.
 
#13
sandy_boots said:
Barrack Room Lawyer said:
Give it another 3 years and they might dish out a Diamond jubilee one :D
If our Queen is still alive then they will.
Can we please not talk about this on this day, of all days?

*sobs*

*sings softly*

Billie Jean ... is not my lover ... hee hee ... oo ... sha moan!
 
#15
sandy_boots said:
With regard to the medal itself, as I understand it, it will follow the precedent of the 1897 diamond jubilee medal in that the QDJM will be an almost identical medal to the QGJM. Same ribbon, same obverse, same reverse except that the year 2012 will replace 2002. It will be silver rather than gold. Holders of the QGJM who qualify for the QDJM will receive a 2012 clasp to QGJM rather than receive an additional medal.

With regard to qualification criteria for members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces I have yet to hear whether a decision has been made but I think it likely that the criteria will be similar to that of the 2002 medal i.e. serving on 6th February 2012 having completed 5 years unbroken service.
What the Dickens? How do you know all this stuff? You some sort of over-the-horizon medal visionary?
 
#16
sandy_boots said:
With regard to the medal itself, as I understand it, it will follow the precedent of the 1897 diamond jubilee medal in that the QDJM will be an almost identical medal to the QGJM. Same ribbon, same obverse, same reverse except that the year 2012 will replace 2002. It will be silver rather than gold. Holders of the QGJM who qualify for the QDJM will receive a 2012 clasp to QGJM rather than receive an additional medal.
Wouldn't it be more appropriate for QGJM medal holders to return their medals to have real diamonds mounted in the crown? :)


No, hold that one. I've just calculated the cost of getting the miniature done... :(
 
#17
BuggerAll said:
Dr_Evil said:
sandy_boots said:
With regard to the medal itself, as I understand it, it will follow the precedent of the 1897 diamond jubilee medal in that the QDJM will be an almost identical medal to the QGJM. Same ribbon, same obverse, same reverse except that the year 2012 will replace 2002. It will be silver rather than gold. Holders of the QGJM who qualify for the QDJM will receive a 2012 clasp to QGJM rather than receive an additional medal.

With regard to qualification criteria for members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces I have yet to hear whether a decision has been made but I think it likely that the criteria will be similar to that of the 2002 medal i.e. serving on 6th February 2012 having completed 5 years unbroken service.
What the Dickens? How do you know all this stuff? You some sort of over-the-horizon medal visionary?
The problem is that in dishing out the QGJM to all and sundry the genie is rather out of the bottle and the diamond jubilee will probably end up following the precedent.

Personally if there has to be general issue of Diamond Jubilee bling I would prefer a clasp to the QGJM. I've got 3 gongs already, I expect to get another op tour medal and there is the VRSM thing if I apply for it. I'll end up looking like one of our American cousins.
I tell you what giving "to all and sundry” (i.e. those who had 5 years unbroken service) the medal was far better than the silver Jubilee solution of the ‘select few’.

I am actually very proud to wear my Jubilee medal as I earned it with five years service and someone above decided that that was the criteria.

I am also very proud to wear my LS&GC for 15 years service because someone decided that that was the criteria.

But hey, that’s just me. Maybe I am a medal grabbing walt :roll: :roll:
 
#18
1) The medal is official and is sanctioned by HM the Queen

2) Five years sevice in HM Forces where ever you are is never easy and at any time you could have been called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice without complaint, some did and many are suffering as the result of injuries during their 'five years' .

3) Like most medals some qualify and some dont and for those that were awarded and want to mock its value then send it back to the medal office - the disgrace is not those that wear it as our Queen bestowed it on us - its those thats mock it and continue to wear it who bring dishonour to our Queen and our country -YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE !!!
 
#19
How sad as you dont have a clue what i may have done - what service i have and where i have served - sadly your military service taught you nothing - thats if you ever even served ?
 

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
#20
yellowhandbag said:
How sad as you dont have a clue what i may have done - what service i have and where i have served - sadly your military service taught you nothing - thats if you ever even served ?
Aren't you just polishing your BAOR medal?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jack-daniels The NAAFI Bar 18
T Army Pay, Claims & JPA 12
Queensman Medals 17

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top