Golden Handshakes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bodie, Nov 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If I was to take that position I'd have a Copper bottomed Contract saying I get a Payout* worth shed loads too, else I'd tell 'em to poke it.

* Payable when the next political kicking the Beeb are will get.

2. Nice work if you can get it! What next? A period of withdrawl to a very low-profile job and then, surprise, surprise, a return to Aunty Beeb's licence-payer funded trough?

3. So?

4. Latest total is said to be £1.3 million of the publics money.

5. I'll do the job for a few days then jack it in too please.

6. Good I hope it's more, serves the ***** right for getting him to resign!

7. 'In my world' contracts are honoured. I assume his contract said that he'd be entitled to a large pay off if he left the job early. He has and apparently he's getting the large payout he's apparently entitled to.

Is 'man receives payout he's contractually entitled to' really news?

8. You can't have it both ways. You either want him to quit and take what he's entitled to, or you don't. To suggest that he should quit and not take his severance package is ridiculous.

These jobs come with generous benefits precisely because of the level of responsibility involved. If something goes wrong on your watch, your name is going to be dragged through the mud.

If your gripe is about the amount, I should point out that a) he'd have made a lot more money if he hadn't quit and; b) that you'd be huffing and puffing if it were £50k.

9. He resigned, he should get **** all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

The alternative explanation is that he's signed an agreement for a fcuking great pay off and the agreement contains a gagging clause. Entwhistle is not solely the blame for this - although he's become the public face of failure. And his prompt resignation brought some time for Lord Patton - who appointed Entwhistle in the first place. I guess Patton - who fighting to stay in his job - didn't want Entwhistle saying any more than necessary in public about the BBC's decision making processes.

There will be a few other BBC executives walking the plank in the coming months. When you add up their severance payments, it'll come to an eye watering sum.

Wordsmith

11. Would you agree then that Squaddies who resign should get **** all? No resettlement no pension acquired up that point nothing. After all they quit **** them.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

12. Depends on why they resigned really.

Being kicked out for ****ing up really very badly may have a case for removal of resettlement and pension and the like in some rare cases.

13. The precedent has now been set ... and as the current crisis develops if other senior members of the BBC (are invited to) resign they will expect the same type of package even if it is over and above their contract ... remember it is only money ...unfortunately someone else's money .. in fact some of my and all other licence payer's money .As they say this decision will have legs .

Edited to add ....two more senior members of the BBC have " stepped aside " ...R4 ... perhaps to give them time to negotiate their resignation package .