Gold Wire Collar Dogs

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Boxy, Sep 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How the feck does one clean them?.

Inherited set of mess dress(STAB)& they are mankey, mess do on Satuday.

Suggestions except buy new ones, not possible, not made anymore.

cheers folk.
  2. Suggestion! Detach from uniform; Scrub with Brasso and toothbrush, then toothpaste and toothbrush and subsquentially dry off/rub with cotton-wool/bogroll; rinse throughly in clear water and tamp dry with bog/kitchen roll.. Allow to dry so as to leave no marks.
    Iinstall in place and hope nobody ever finds out what a complete cünt you are!

3. stick them in a glass of coke.
  4. detach as in unpick wire mess dress c dogs cloth backed sewn on..thanks anyway.
  5. What, you mean that the gold wire cannot be detached from the cloth back?

Gin is excellent for cleaning jewellery ........ let it soak in gin for a while, then give a little scrub with a toothbrush.

I wouldn't have thought gin would damage cloth backing? Perhaps rince afterwards.

.......... examine gin ........ if not too manky ...... drink it.
  6. Gold braid can be maintained by brushing with a nail brush using a solution of 1 part ammonia to 4 parts water dry thoroughly afterward and polish with a soft, clean brush. Dampness causes the material the gold is wrapped around to oxidize so keep your braid in a dry place. Cover uniform with a suit bag when storing away.
    Tailors can clean gold braid if you have time.
    An extreme method I have used for very old braid, which really should be replaced, is to use silver dip on a nailbrush and brush of with water on a nail brush, dry thoroughly and then brush with a clean brush.
    Light Tarnish can be removed with a good bristled brush and an old method is a bread crust rubbed on and then brushed off….crumbs.
    Some of the suggestions you have been given scare me slightly. Bear in mind I clean a lot of kit
    send us a picture of them if you can and I may be able to offer further advice :)
  7. Sorry,sorry, sorry, FFBox, that was me just being a cünt without knowing the true nature of the problem involved. I take back all I implied about you and apologise for being so stupid.

What you have to do is to do what I said before, but with the caveat that you don't remove said badges, but delineate them exactly with black nasty before you embark upon cleaning them. The emphasise is on EXACTLY and on black nasty, since it sticks like shite to a blanket and as such is much better at keeping stains off a uniform than masking tape.

I apologise again for having misunderstood your initial post!