Gold - The Ultimate National Anthem - Have Your Say

There is a ground swell of interest in the country to change the National Anthem to something more rousing.

Apparently Gold by Spandau Ballet is in the running!

Check out this Government petition

National Anthem Petition

Bugger off and leave the National Anthem alone. Although I personally prefer the Archers theme....

Its no wonder the Government increasingly treat us all like children, when people put forward proposals like this.

clownbasher said:
sandmanfez said:
Its no wonder the Government increasingly treat us all like children, when people put forward proposals like this.
Oh sod off
And there we have it, confirmation of why they do so.

Mr_Deputy said:
There was a film by The Comic Strip with this song in. Myall, Planer, etc were 4 salesmen travelling to a conference and bought 'GOLD' on CD and it sticks - repeating the line "your indestructable" over and over all the time they are in the car. Just makes me think of that. It was hilarious I thought.

Surprised they dont go for the song New Lab used. Cant remember what is called. D Ream?
More like N Ightmare.

Being an `old fart´I could live with `Land of Hope and Glory`,but it sounds absolutely pompous when you start looking at the way the country´s trying to self destruct!....................`Going down the Dustpipe´by Status Quo might be more accurate?

Gold? can you imagine a stadium full of Soccer Mongs trying to remember the words!

sandmanfez said:
clownbasher said:
sandmanfez said:
Oh sod off
And there we have it, confirmation of why they do so.
An alternative way of looking at it is that it is a good way of taking the p1ss out of its inanity and pathetic attempts to "engage" with us, although the image slips to reveal the control freakery and arrogance when a lot of people actually tell them what they do think of a policy - e.g. the road charging.

midnight said:
Gold? can you imagine a stadium full of Soccer Mongs trying to remember the words!
That's the beauty of it - they can just punch the air to the "Gold!"'s and it is far easier to mlaar along to than God Save the Queen.

Nothing wrong with the existing one although many regret that these days we only sing the first of six verses.

I really would pay good money to see Gordon Brown sing the full version, particularly the final verse:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

Earnie, the fastest milkman in the West.

Anything by Queen.