Gold standard cock-up’ that keeps helicopters out of Afgan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jun 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gold standard cock-up’ that keeps key helicopters out of Afghanistan

IAN BRUCE, Defence Correspondent June 04 2008

A Botched Ministry of Defence helicopter deal which will eventually cost the taxpayer more than £422m is described as "a gold standard cock-up" in a damning Whitehall watchdog committee report.

Edward Leigh, chairman of the public accounts committee, said the purchase of eight Boeing Chinook Mark 3 helicopters, which had been unusable in operations since they were delivered and had been in storage hangars for almost seven years, represented "one of the most incompetent equipment procurements of all time".

The Chinooks cost £259m and were intended for SAS missions, but because of problems with their MoD-specified avionics software, they only had safety clearance to fly above 500 feet in clear skies when landmarks were clearly visible to the pilots.
    More on the link
    http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2316651.0.Gold_standard_cockup_that_keeps_key_helicopters_out_of_Afghanistan.php

2. I know it has been covered in detail elsewhere, but worth following the <link> and reading the whole article.

3. Errrr yes - and it's probably worth knowing a little more about what actually happened with these aircraft.

4. F-ing amazing.
    They have the cabs and
    Do we assume that men are working 24 hrs a day to get them out to the troops who Need them ?
    Is the money there to allow the work to be done or has it all been spent on inquires.
    Will someone fall on their bayonet or whatever the crabs use for this disgraceful matter.
    john

5. Latest is they're being worked on now. Even seen a few of 'em flying about down south recently.

Maybe worth asking on Pprune how they're coming on.

6. When will the sackings start?

7. He's retired.

8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Why did they pay for them if they couldn't use them ?

9. Am I wrong in my understanding that there was some litigation going ahead against Boeing for the cost of fixing the problem, which prevented the MoD from sorting the problem out?

10. The committee reports that the problem stems from MoD insistence that Boeing provide aircraft with a flight deck controlled by a mix of analogue and digital systems which could not pass the UK's stringent flight safety regulations.

The above quote apprears to suggest that the fault with the avionics is down to the MoD wanting the option above, surely analogue systems are older and perhaps cheaper, and possibly not up to the job. One of those spoiling the ship for a penny of tar scenarios

11. Aren't analogue systems more robust and less likely to suffer wholesale battlefield damage - that is, a round goes through an analogue alt, You lose that dial, a round goes through a screen and You lose Your display

12. I met one of the test pilots who was involved in this sorry saga. In his view the blame lay wholly with the RAF who put out a difficult specification, and then proved reluctant to listen to the advice of the test pilots.

13. Jim

Am I wrong in my assertion that the cabs were not sorted due to a suit against Boeing - I cannot find anything to back up my memory on this?

14. yes, yes, yes. Us crabs are all sitting with our thumbs up our aerses and not doing a jot. In fact, we decided to use those cruddy airframes as goalposts at Odiham, so you'll not be seeing them getting serviced - they look too good on the football pitch.

:roll:

15. Not even an issue. Modern helicopters have both. Hard to come by a helicopter that doesnt have stand-by instruments to get you home in one piece. In fact, its hard to find a good modern helicopter that doesnt have redundancy built into all critical systems, whether it be hydraulic, electrical or flight control.