Gold braid

Discussion in 'Officers' started by rubber, Jun 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the ornate gold braid worn on the right hand of officers no.1 dress denotes?

2. Not a definitive answer but worn by senior officers and also their ADCs. Just another embelishment with rank I believe.
  3. Fair one,

Just I saw a captain wearing one-thought it might be something to do with aristocratic ties or something, since royalty all wear it
  4. What regiment? and where was this seen?
  5. The multiple ropes of gold braid on the right shoulder indicate, I believe, that the Officer is an ADC to the Queen.

6. [/spotter mode on]

Nearly right, proper term is Aiguilettes:

Aiguillettes (1st Class) are of gold wire cord and are worn on the right shoulder by, among others, Field Marshals, Aides-de-Camp to the Sovereign, equerries to members of the Royal Family, and commissioned officers of the Household Cavalry (in full dress only). They are worn on the left shoulder in full dress by Warrant Officers of the Household Cavalry.

Aiguillettes (2nd Class) are of gold and crimson and are worn on the right shoulder by, among others, military members of the Army Board and the personal staff of Governors. A simplified version with no coils is worn on the left shoulder by Staff Corporals, Corporals of Horse and Lance Corporals of Horse of the Household Cavalry in full dress.

Aiguillettes (3rd Class) are of gold and crimson and are worn on the left shoulder by, among others, military attachés and aides-de-camp.
    Simple aiguillettes are worn by Lance Corporals of the Household Cavalry and by bandsmen of Dragoon Guards and Dragoon regiments in full dress.

[/spotter mode off]
  7. some spotter-tastic replies!

I saw this at beat the retreat at horse guards, on amongst others, a Royal Marines Captain.

8. I believe that the wearing of aiguillettes originated in the 17th century, when it was customary for musketeers - specifically those using matchlock muskets - to wrap or drape the matchlock cord around and on the upper arm and shoulder. Similarly, the red tabs worn by general and staff officers dates back to the red ribbons used to attach officers' gorgets.
  9. Was at a wedding, in the Gd Of Honour, where an ADC rocked up with Class 3 Aguileras on. He was promptly told to get his subnormal head down.

What does spotter mode tell us about attempting to show up the groom?
  10. Methinks that if you need to ask then you probably don't need to know.

11. It was merely part of his uniform!!
  12. Ahem, only if he was taking part in his official duties as an ADC.
  13. Good call, Solon... :D