Gold and the New Dawn

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by LordVonHarley, Nov 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Over the last few years Gold has soared from $600 to $1150 today. Gold Mining stock has performed better than anyone could have imagined.
    On TV there are adverts begging for scrap gold and people are investing in EFT's and physical gold as the banks try and sort them selves out ....... but as we all know all bubbles burst.

Are we seeing a new dawn in investment styles, in the 1990's IT shares where in fashion, in the 2000's it was property, it seems that Gold and to the lesser extent silver is the must have as we enter into 2010.

I have seen independent silver smith selling paperweights/ ingots of Sterling silver and selling them as investment pieces - the public love them apparently

There are rumours that certain EFT do not have enough gold in their vaults to payout if all investors cash in on their bumper profits. Could this push prices higher?

Could the rise in price be effected by the US Dollar being devalued by Quantitive easying?

Sensible people seem to be going back to basics, saving, growing their own food, being thrifty, thinking for them selves before letting some silver tongued finance adviser invest their savings, not trusting the banks and keeping a little something for a rainy day.

How will gold prices react when massive inflation hits?
  2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Depends how the System intends to use gold. Gold can be either inflationary or deflationary dependant on monetry policy.

I wouldn't buy it for short term hold, I'd consider it for a long term hold. Sterling is an interesting bet at present and i much more affordable to the general public.

Will be interesting to see the effect of Chinese buy up of metals that has been going on solidly for the last ten years or so.
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I keep my assets split between slaves, cotton and coffee beans - worked well for years.
    Re-investing in shares in timber (hardwoods) and sugar production keeps the tax down too...
  4. Now if only this country had a decent gold reserve. Brown could sell it at its peak and pay off our National Debt.............................
  5. If we could sell Brown for what he thinks he is worth we could all retire.
  6. [​IMG]

Dubai's problems are affecting the wider markets. And there was far too much of a build up of steam in gold, it could be said.
  7. Agreed - but buy on the dips. Silver too. I'm still waiting for the second crash and glad to be out of stocks even though I've missed out on some great gains. I'd put a lot of it down to QE.
  8. Remember to have a flexible exit strategy. This is maybe the most difficult thing here, unless you're not looking to take profits and are instead holding long-term for preservation of wealth. Knowing what to do and when is a real challenge in these extraordinary times.
  9. I've put everything in to canned food and shotguns....
  10. Wouldn't be without a 12 bore c_f :D
  11. Am still looking for farmland for the long term.
  12. Why not find a nice spot with great views and fertile land and pitch a caravan up on there? Get yourself a good human rights lawyer first. :D