Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to the Dentist

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
I actually love it and you should be used to insults by now after the drubbing you took as Robme, MacRaven and Once.a.pilgrim.
WHO ARE Robme, Macraven and Once a pilgrim? Now you can really let me in on the 'in joke'.
I haven't re- enlisted on this site.

Last edited:
Just been out to do the shopping, and you're still here. You're probably like the guy I saw outside the supermarket, tiny ear piece, vacant staring into the middle distance and talking out loud .
This shows that you still do not know how this forum works.

I am currently WFH (read surfing Arrse), posting on and reading multiple threads.
I am not sat watching this thread waiting for you to respond.
I have notifications set so that I get an alert when someone quotes my User name @ in front of Shiny_Arrse) or they reply to one of my posts.
I click on the alert and then read (and respond if I want) the post.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
He also has a strong whiff of troll.
Oh, I see, because I don't give in and let those with 5x arrse imitation medals 'LE' have the last word, now its become a whiff of troll'?
I started Going to the Dentist as perhaps an item of interest under current affairs, but responses apart from Fang just wander off the thread. If I chose not to book an appointment with an Hygienist ever again perhaps it's also because there is an ultrasonic dental cleaner now available to purchase for £39,00.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh, I see, because I don't give in and let those with 5x arrse imitation medals 'LE' have the last word, now its become a whiff of troll'?
I started Going to the Dentist as perhaps an item of interest under current affairs, but responses apart from Fang just wander off the thread. If I chose not to book an appointment with an Hygienist ever again perhaps it's also because there is an ultrasonic dental cleaner now available to purchase for £39,00.

Apart from Fang Farrier's professional comments, this thread would be better off in the Arrse hole. Next time, try starting a thread in the NAAFI and see how you get on.

Good luck seeing inside your own mouth while operating your ultrasonic dental cleaner.

There was a piece on the radio last night about dentistry during Covid-19. The great problem seems to be the atomised mist that is generated during any procedure using a high speed drill. It is a profession, in any case, that probably gets you closer to repiratory tracts than any other trade or calling.

The interviewer at one point suggested that dental extractions might provide a better solution.

He was quickly brought back to earth by the dentistry spokesman who said something like, "Er.... we tend not to do that".

I'll try and put this as simply as possible:

The medals under someone's avatar mean absolutely nothing other than to indicate how many posts someone has made. That's it.

The only thing there that has any significance is if it says Moderator or Admin. Everything else can be ignored.

Edit - before anyone starts I know there are different medals for donations etc., I'm trying to keep things simple for the hard of thinking.

No matter what everyone tells you, you do have your uses. :p
However, I think I will ask someone who has relevant, current knowledge. Note that there are models available for significantly less than £39.

@Fang_Farrier, are these sonic dental pics (for home use) good, bad or Meh!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There was a piece on the radio last night about dentistry during Covid-19. The great problem seems to be the atomised mist that is generated during any procedure using a high speed drill. It is a profession, in any case, that probably gets you closer to repiratory tracts than any other trade or calling.

The interviewer at one point suggested that dental extractions might provide a better solution.

He was quickly brought back to earth by the dentistry spokesman who said something like, "Er.... we tend not to do that".

The term Aerosol Generated Procedures (AGP) was pretty much outside most medical lexicon before Covid 19.

However AGPs have become increasing important due to the nature Covid 19.
Medical AGPS include intubation and various nebulisers. The former being why so many ICU workers have been victims of Covid 19 relative to other health care professionals.

The list of dental AGPs has had several items which are definitely AGPS (use of high speed drill, Ultra sonic scalers) and several which are non AGPs (Extractions, denture work)
However many other treatments have gone from one list to the other depending upon exert opinion over time.
There are also some thing which may thought of as non AGP but may have an element of AGP. (Exam, just looking is non AGP, however using the water or air spray to give clearer vision makes it an AGP.)

I'll try and put this as simply as possible:

The medals under someone's avatar mean absolutely nothing other than to indicate how many posts someone has made. That's it.

The only thing there that has any significance is if it says Moderator or Admin. Everything else can be ignored.

Edit - before anyone starts I know there are different medals for donations etc., I'm trying to keep things simple for the hard of thinking.
Thanks Teach! :p

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No matter what everyone tells you, you do have your uses. :p
However, I think I will ask someone who has relevant, current knowledge. Note that there are models available for significantly less than £39.

@Fang_Farrier, are these sonic dental pics (for home use) good, bad or Meh!

We use ultra sonic to remove calculus, they are up in 2.5kHz, which will be 2,500 vibrations a second. That is advertised at 3,000 a minute so is indeed gentle.

The caveat in this device is the wording "when used in conjunction with regular brushing. "

I wold suspect that it is useful for removing staining from food, wine, but may struggle with built up calculus, and tea staining can be a bit iffy to removed at the best of times.

However at only £9.99 it may work. It's not going to give a Hollywood bright white smile

We use ultra sonic to remove calculus, they are up in 2.5kHz, which will be 2,500 vibrations a second. That is advertised at 3,000 a minute so is indeed gentle.

The caveat in this device is the wording "when used in conjunction with regular brushing. "

I wold suspect that it is useful for removing staining from food, wine, but may struggle with built up calculus, and tea staining can be a bit iffy to removed at the best of times.

However at only £9.99 it may work. It's not going to give a Hollywood bright white smile
Thanks, will look at getting one. Not looking for a Hollywood smile (no point with my ugly mug) but always end up needing a scrape after a checkup.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Apart from Fang Farrier's professional comments, this thread would be better off in the Arrse hole. Next time, try starting a thread in the NAAFI and see how you get on.

Good luck seeing inside your own mouth while operating your ultrasonic dental cleaner.
No problem, I have been using a dental scaler, (small ended s/s chisel) for many years.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Paddy McGees Goat or poster with some name like that, keeps posting 'dumb' to my posts on this thread about Going to the Dentist. The member has a score of 780 posts which have stayed the same for 3 weeks also 289 red 'dumb?' posts, Is he just trying to dish out 'dumb' because of having received so many on own score?. Sad!

Paddy McGees Goat or poster with some name like that, keeps posting 'dumb' to my posts on this thread about Going to the Dentist. The member has a score of 780 posts which have stayed the same for 3 weeks also 289 red 'dumb?' posts, Is he just trying to dish out 'dumb' because of having received so many on own score?. Sad!
Why don't you ask that in the thread that you devoted to him?

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Paddy McGees Goat or poster with some name like that, keeps posting 'dumb' to my posts on this thread about Going to the Dentist. The member has a score of 780 posts which have stayed the same for 3 weeks also 289 red 'dumb?' posts, Is he just trying to dish out 'dumb'
because of having received so many on own score?. Sad!

Why are you here and what is the point of you continuing to whinge and whine?

You posted something about dentistry and, clearly, had your own thoughts already, despite seeking answers on the forum.

Since then you have moaned constantly, even about those who have higher post ratings than you and those who are book reviewers.

Why?

What are you doing here? Do you know?

What are you hoping to achieve by being here?

I'm sure that most of us really need to understand your reason for being...

Aquavite

Clanker
Maybe he thinks you're a prick.

No problem, I have been using a dental scaler, (small ended s/s chisel) for many years.
With a bit of luck you'll slip and drive it through your head.

The term Aerosol Generated Procedures (AGP) was pretty much outside most medical lexicon before Covid 19.

However AGPs have become increasing important due to the nature Covid 19.
Medical AGPS include intubation and various nebulisers. The former being why so many ICU workers have been victims of Covid 19 relative to other health care professionals.

The list of dental AGPs has had several items which are definitely AGPS (use of high speed drill, Ultra sonic scalers) and several which are non AGPs (Extractions, denture work)
However many other treatments have gone from one list to the other depending upon exert opinion over time.
There are also some thing which may thought of as non AGP but may have an element of AGP. (Exam, just looking is non AGP, however using the water or air spray to give clearer vision makes it an AGP.)

Perhaps you should confine your attentions to the patient's oral cavity and keep well away from their aerosoles.

Latest Threads