Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to the Dentist

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
"......desperate to cling to the past? What are all you guys trying to do, the past is relative to us all.
Also, you mention '....a private dental Hygienist.', but unless there are those who qualify for nhs hygienist, then the payment I make £60 per appointment, is for a 'private' hygienist. You're the one doing '....diddly squat..'

"......desperate to cling to the past? What are all you guys trying to do, the past is relative to us all.
Also, you mention '....a private dental Hygienist.', but unless there are those who qualify for nhs hygienist, then the payment I make £60 per appointment, is for a 'private' hygienist. You're the one doing '....diddly squat..'
Well, Duh!
:rolleyes: Spoken to a Hygienist yet?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Does 'DN' mean 'dental nurse? So far as I know, to be presently employed working as a dental nurse, requires GDC registration as a DCP?

You seem to know a lot about dentistry, yet claim not to know what "community dentistry" means.

I've been out of Dental Nursing for about 7 years now, so they may have changed the title yet again! (Used to be known as DSA prior to DN). However, most of the advice from others still stands - speak to your dentist, and if they decide you need more than a scale and polish then they will refer you to a hygienist who works independently. Please feel free to correct me if you know different (i.e. have up to date information).

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
How do you know all this? Was only 20years or so ago that dentists were only allowed a plate outside
How do you know all this? Was only 20years or so ago that dentists were only allowed a plate outside
I cannot
You seem to know a lot about dentistry, yet claim not to know what "community dentistry" means.

I've been out of Dental Nursing for about 7 years now, so they may have changed the title yet again! (Used to be known as DSA prior to DN). However, most of the advice from others still stands - speak to your dentist, and if they decide you need more than a scale and polish then they will refer you to a hygienist who works independently. Please feel free to correct me if you know different (i.e. have up to date information).
I did 25 years ago, (know of a Council run dental clinic), where they mainly did orthodontics for children, but I thought these clinics were closed due the previous recession. Why keep going on about a hygienist?With lockdown and the coronavirus, I've made up my mind, I'm not going to book any more appointments ......end of story!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I cannot

I did 25 years ago, (know of a Council run dental clinic), where they mainly did orthodontics for children, but I thought these clinics were closed due the previous recession.

Perhaps some community (NHS) dental clinics have been closed (one of the ones I worked in was bought out by Virgin :mad:), but as far as I know they are still operating and providing

- dental services to patients (particularly kids) with dental phobia
- dental services to patients with a range of mental health issues
- dental services to patients with severe physical disabilities or other health conditions which would preclude
their treatment by a normal GDP
- emergency treatments for anyone not registered with a GDP

Hope this helps.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
With lockdown and the coronavirus, I've made up my mind, I'm not going to book any more appointments ......end of story!

Jolly good for you. Bye bye.

(Although I fear this will NOT be the end of the story...)

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Referring to previous post 76, I cannot find anone who in this thread who posted '...puller of teeth'? Dentists are much more than ...'puller of teeth...'! There is the re-construction of facial injury or birth defects in Maxillo Facial, also obturators, fracture of the mandible and sometimes the maxilla and so on

KnockKnock

Old-Salt

A dental nurse was required to register with the GDC as a DCP dental care professional in 2006.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Referring to previous post 76, I cannot find anone who in this thread who posted '...puller of teeth'? Dentists are much more than ...'puller of teeth...'! There is the re-construction of facial injury or birth defects in Maxillo Facial, also obturators, fracture of the mandible and sometimes the maxilla and so on

Really?? Wow I never knew that!!

N.B. This is Arrse, not the fcuking General Dental Council.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
A dental nurse was required to register with the GDC as a DCP dental care professional in 2006.

Yep I registered every year, at somewhat inflated personal expense!

Never heard of "DCP" though, and it's probably not relevant - just another name.

@KnockKnock, That was me, describing @Fang_Farrier. He is a pracicing Dentist who also understands a bit of banter. I have a good idea of the range of work a Dentist carries out but I know people with a sense of humour would find it amusing. It is a Billy bonus that it grinds your gears

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Possibly someone posted that reading your drivel was 'like pulling teeth'?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads