Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to the Dentist

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
If you are an NHS patient, you may find a hygienist willing to do as you ask but I suspect you will be offered what the NHS are willing to provide for the minimal amount you have to pay toward the cost.
If you are a private Patient, then you may be able to negotiate how you are treated, but you will have to pay the full cost.
All this is moot if you have decided not to go to a hygienist and there is bugger all any of us on this forum can do anyway.
Oh, come on, why keep asking me to explain (it's in the previous posts), there is no nhs hygienist treatment I know about. NHS Band 1 examination once upon a time included (perhaps it still does)(and I have had such within an examination) 'scale and polish', but I'm usually asked to book an appointment with the hygienist £60, with PPE this will no doubt go up? I only wish for the choice when paying for a service.

Oh, come on, why keep asking me to explain (it's in the previous posts), there is no nhs hygienist treatment I know about. NHS Band 1 examination once upon a time included (perhaps it still does)(and I have had such within an examination) 'scale and polish', but I'm usually asked to book an appointment with the hygienist £60, with PPE this will no doubt go up? I only wish for the choice when paying for a service.

Then talk to your dentist or hygienist, there is bugger all we can do for you. You are just wasting pixels on here.

Scale and polish
If your dentist says scaling is clinically required, this is available on the NHS.

This can be provided by a hygienist or dental therapist.

A simple scaling is included in a Band 1 course of treatment, but more complex treatment for gum problems may be charged within a Band 2 course of treatment.

Many dental hygienists now work under direct access, where you can request to see the hygienist directly for a scale or polish.

Hygienists can only provide this open access on a private basis, and you should check the cost of the treatment before booking an appointment.

If your dentist says a scale and polish is not clinically necessary but you want one anyway, you will have to pay for it privately.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
No I've said already, Under present conditions I won't be going to the dental hygienist ever again. My point being, as the hygienist is a paid for appointment, I want to be allowed when booking, the choice of sitting upright in the chair and a non AGP of present day treatment.

In which case the hygienist will not be able to provide satisfactory treatment.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Or go back under his bridge and take his offensive knees with him.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

In an effort to be helpful and play the game - my dentist always does a scale and polish after treatment or check-up, using a combination of ultrasonic and hand instruments. If you don't ask you don't get ... ;-)

He always treats me on NHS terms, but I know he also does private work if it's a complicated treatment and he needs extra time and materials that his NHS payments wouldn't cover.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
In an effort to be helpful and play the game - my dentist always does a scale and polish after treatment or check-up, using a combination of ultrasonic and hand instruments. If you don't ask you don't get ... ;-)

He always treats me on NHS terms, but I know he also does private work if it's a complicated treatment and he needs extra time and materials that his NHS payments wouldn't cover.
Yes, I've had this before, 30 minutes in the chair with hand instruments and ultrasonic included, but that was recent years ago. Different today with a different pay structure (and now PPE) and UDA. You mention after'treatment' or 'check up'? Treatment might be Band 2/3, examination (check up) Band 1. After which are you saying the inc s&p?

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Or go back under his bridge and take his offensive knees with him.
Offensive knees -----Take a look at;- 'The Chinese- not a great bunch of lads'- Sixty, original post 2016, but resurrected Tuesday 13.57, page one ' .....bunch of cxxts', ...*********, .....Jibber jabber. and so on. I have found the Chinese in my visits to Hong Kong, to be polite and helpful and OK, But I dare not say this and respond to this post, because it is by a Moderator and I guess it won't d me any good?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, I've had this before, 30 minutes in the chair with hand instruments and ultrasonic included, but that was recent years ago. Different today with a different pay structure (and now PPE) and UDA. You mention after'treatment' or 'check up'? Treatment might be Band 2/3, examination (check up) Band 1. After which are you saying the inc s&p?

FFS, ask your own dentist, assuming you have one!

Offensive knees -----Take a look at;- 'The Chinese- not a great bunch of lads'- Sixty, original post 2016, but resurrected Tuesday 13.57, page one ' .....bunch of cxxts', ...*********, .....Jibber jabber. and so on. I have found the Chinese in my visits to Hong Kong, to be polite and helpful and OK, But I dare not say this and respond to this post, because it is by a Moderator and I guess it won't d me any good?

You seem to be a bit chippy about Moderators and other random stuff peculiar to this website. Don't read too much into it. Bottom line is , if you post shite you get shite back. I know this from experience. I also know a little about dentistry having being lucky enough to do my DN training at Guy's hospital, then worked on their implant team for a couple of years before going into Community (Special Care) dental clinics.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
As @StBob072 says, ask your dentist, not some random pixels on a military themed forum.
@Fang_Farrier is probably the best placed person on here to answer your questions as he is a puller of teeth, but as he practises in the land of Midges and is unlikely to be the person who would actually look in your gob, his advice can only be based on educated guesswork.
You clearly don't read all the posts and I gave a little clue in post 41, Why would I purchase a portrait of one of the top men in dentistry?

You clearly don't read all the posts and I gave a little clue in post 41, Why would I purchase a portrait of one of the top men in dentistry?
I did read all of the posts in this thread. I know you are ex RADC (probably Dentist), from your posts on here you come across an old fart who is desperate to cling to the past.
As to your purchase of a picture of William Fry, I could not care less. Just think, if you had not splashed out on the picture, you could put some more money towards the cost of seeing a private Dental Hygienist.
I'm willing to bet that you could discuss your treatment with a Hygienist with a view to them accommodating your requests. Posting about it on here will change diddly squat and is a waste of pixels.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Then talk to your dentist or hygienist, there is bugger all we can do for you. You are just wasting pixels on here.

Scale and polish
If your dentist says scaling is clinically required, this is available on the NHS.

This can be provided by a hygienist or dental therapist.

A simple scaling is included in a Band 1 course of treatment, but more complex treatment for gum problems may be charged within a Band 2 course of treatment.

Many dental hygienists now work under direct access, where you can request to see the hygienist directly for a scale or polish.

Hygienists can only provide this open access on a private basis, and you should check the cost of the treatment before booking an appointment.

If your dentist says a scale and polish is not clinically necessary but you want one anyway, you will have to pay for it privately.
'....wasting pixels on here.' What are the majority of comments and replies on here? But discussing about visits to the dentist during the corona virus pandemic, and after the thread has been taken away from the OP, by some pointless replies, that I then find I have to reply..... Fang replied as if a dentist, but how do I know?

Last edited:
'....wasting pixels on here.' What are the majority of comments and replies on here? Appropriate responses to your daft posts. But discussing about visits to the dentist during the corona virus pandemic, and after the thread has been taken away from the OP, This is Arrse, very few threads stay on topic. by some pointless replies, that I then find I have to reply..... That is the what happens on this forum, pointless posts get pointless answers (most of it well meaning or banter BTW) Fang answered me as if a dentist, but how do I know? If you cannot see that @Fang_Farrier is a Dentist, I would suggest you need to see an Optician as well. ;)
Had a chat with a Hygienist yet?:p

You know, sitting upright in the chair had it's advantages, the hygienist then has to lean close right across you!
You are getting the hang of Arrse now, you dirty old pervert. :p

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Have you got a deep fat fryer?
How do I get to join the many members now 'Book Reviewer'? I submitted my book review 'High Performance', but I don't get 'Book Reviewer' added to my Arrse description?
I did get my Army Education Certificate (in the first couple of weeks ABTU), Is a 'Book Reviewer' paid per book review?

Last edited:

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
FFS, ask your own dentist, assuming you have one!

You seem to be a bit chippy about Moderators and other random stuff peculiar to this website. Don't read too much into it. Bottom line is , if you post shite you get shite back. I know this from experience. I also know a little about dentistry having being lucky enough to do my DN training at Guy's hospital, then worked on their implant team for a couple of years before going into Community (Special Care) dental clinics.
Does 'DN' mean 'dental nurse? So far as I know, to be presently employed working as a dental nurse, requires GDC registration as a DCP?

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
I did read all of the posts in this thread. I know you are ex RADC (probably Dentist), from your posts on here you come across an old fart who is desperate to cling to the past.
As to your purchase of a picture of William Fry, I could not care less. Just think, if you had not splashed out on the picture, you could put some more money towards the cost of seeing a private Dental Hygienist.
I'm willing to bet that you could discuss your treatment with a Hygienist with a view to them accommodating your requests. Posting about it on here will change diddly squat and is a waste of pixels.

Latest Threads