Going to the Dentist

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I would have thought that all of us posting on this site are equal, yet the images of various 'medals' and names such as 'Swinger', 'Clanker', 'Old Salt', seem to me to be regarded has having with not so many 'medals' to defer to those (many in numbers) 'LE', is this supposed to represent 'late enlisted'....'Officer'? e.g., "Best to learn the how to use the quote function first", a more helpful post would have been a hint how to use 'Quote' Oh dear, now Ive got a big red cross against me, like a naughty boy. Grow up!
If you are this fcuking irritating in real life, I'd refer you to my previous post #58.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
If you are this fcuking irritating in real life, I'd refer you to my previous post #58.
Listen Sunshine, you seem to think you can pop up out of the blue and post insulting comments like:-" You come across as a failed dental student who has spent too much time abusing the N20." ABUSING - then posting 'dumb' and a big 'red cross'! You don't know if I have or ever had any dental knowledge, and if I did or do, it's none of your business!

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Your temperature will not be taken. Or it may not be taken anyway. Been working all trough this current period in Urgent Dental Care Centres and we have don't take temperatures.
Part of the rationale behind this is that a fair percentage of patients attending with dental emergencies will have an infection or abscess which will cause a rise in temperature. How would we be able to differentiate between fever caused by covid and fever caused by dental infection?

Originally when we were not even doing AGPs, we split patients into red and green pathways, as elsewhere in health red for covid, green for non covid.

However, this was then reclassified, we still use red and green however rather than basing it upon the patient, we base it upon the procedure to be performed.

Emergency treatment does include AGPs. AGPs will just be seen in an enhanced PPE.

If you have covid symptoms you will still be seen. Probably by a team in enhanced PPE even if the procedure is non AGP.

Glossary

AGP Aerosol Generating Procedure. Exactly as it sounds, any treatment that make create a fine mist of liquid whether that liquid be water or saliva, examples high speed drill ultrasonic scaler, 3in1 water air blowy thing

Enhanced PPE: Shoe covers, disposable full length, full sleeved gown, double gloved, FFP3 mask, head cover, visor with sponge at top

Standard PPE: Plastic apron, gloves, Fluid resistant surgical mask, visor

PPE deemed appropriate previously: Gloves, eye protection, surgical mask.
Listen, I have no beef with any DCP dental care professional, but as an elderly nhs dental patient, I shall not be booking any more additional private visits to the dental hygienist. I’ve never liked being laid out flat on the dentists chair, in goes the aspirator and the copious water treatment begins.

My earliest visits to the dental hygienist were never like this, I would be seated upright in the dentists chair, and the hygienist used only hand instruments and cuttlefish strips between the teeth, finishing off with prophylactic paste brushed with a small circular brush in a slow speed dental handpiece. Patients need to be given the choice when booking…..Do you wish to be seated upright, do you have any objection to aerosol generated procedures?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Listen, I have no beef with any DCP dental care professional, but as an elderly nhs dental patient, I shall not be booking any more additional private visits to the dental hygienist. I’ve never liked being laid out flat on the dentists chair, in goes the aspirator and the copious water treatment begins.

My earliest visits to the dental hygienist were never like this, I would be seated upright in the dentists chair, and the hygienist used only hand instruments and cuttlefish strips between the teeth, finishing off with prophylactic paste brushed with a small circular brush in a slow speed dental handpiece. Patients need to be given the choice when booking…..Do you wish to be seated upright, do you have any objection to aerosol generated procedures?
I think you'll find that a thorough medical and dental history will be taken, along with any special needs taken into consideration.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
I think you'll find that a thorough medical and dental history will be taken, along with any special needs taken into consideration.
That is again, not the point, I don't like water gurgling in the back of my throat anyhow. At my age and (overwise fit) and having been flat out on the chair for 20 minutes, I then wait 15 minutes before I drive away. Upright in the dental chair, with hand held instruments only - give us the choice!! We are paying for this treatment!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
That is again, not the point, I don't like water gurgling in the back of my throat anyhow. At my age and (overwise fit) and having been flat out on the chair for 20 minutes, I then wait 15 minutes before I drive away. Upright in the dental chair, with hand held instruments only - give us the choice!! We are paying for this treatment!
I'm struggling to see what your point is. And assuming you're not visiting a military dentist, why are you making peculiar observations on here?

You seem to be saying you want treatment but won't allow the dentist to carry it out properly.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Health and Fitness.
I don't see why the Current Affairs Forum that I selected to open the thread should now be Health and Fitness? Perhaps an entry on Health and fitness (in tune other with general posts) 'Does being a muff diver keep you warm at the swimming pool' be more appropriate?

Last edited:

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
I'm struggling to see what your point is. And assuming you're not visiting a military dentist, why are you making peculiar observations on here?

You seem to be saying you want treatment but won't allow the dentist to carry it out properly.
Current Affairs,old lad, like 'Are you ready for the recession', are these posts about solely military issues?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I must apologise for my current absence from this thread but am taking my first stint of leave since March.

During the period since then, I have either been working in Covid Assessment Centres or Urgent Dental Care Centres.

As such Mrs F deliberately booked a cottage on an island with no TV or Internet.

Briefly passing civilisation but heading back to isolation.

If your point is relevant please leave it after the beep and I will answer it when I can.

Beeeeeep

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Health and Fitness.
Given me a 'dumb' your reactions show
I must apologise for my current absence from this thread but am taking my first stint of leave since March.

During the period since then, I have either been working in Covid Assessment Centres or Urgent Dental Care Centres.

As such Mrs F deliberately booked a cottage on an island with no TV or Internet.

Briefly passing civilisation but heading back to isolation.

If your point is relevant please leave it after the beep and I will answer it when I can.

Beeeeeep
Glad to see you go!

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
As @StBob072 says, ask your dentist, not some random pixels on a military themed forum.
@Fang_Farrier is probably the best placed person on here to answer your questions as he is a puller of teeth, but as he practises in the land of Midges and is unlikely to be the person who would actually look in your gob, his advice can only be based on educated guesswork.
How do you know all this? Was only 20years or so ago that dentists were only allowed a plate outside

Last edited:
How do you know all this? How do I know @Fang_Farrier is a Dentist in Scotland? Because he told us! He gives advice/guidance on dentistry related matters/questions. I suspect he is not the only Dentist on this forum, but he is the only one I am currently aware of. Was only 20years or so ago that dentists were only allowed a plate outside Could you explain or expand on that point? It does not make sense to me.
Your posts are confusing, but I get the impression that you want to have dental treatment done the way it used to be. If you want something done that is no longer a recognised procedure, I think you will struggle to find anyone willing to carry out any work on you. Any treatment you will get is constrained by current COVID19 guidelines, equipment available, procedures being recognised, Dentists being trained in those procedures, etc

As said previously, your best (and only sensible course of action is to contact a Dentist (or Dentists) and pose your questions to them.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Now, when I was in the Royal Army Dental Corps, amongst my other work, I was also put on guard duty and sent on occasional duty to the Union Jack Club in town, to make certain drinking up time was kept and the place could close. Those many Scottish soldiers who been on active duty and were having a well earned break, and had had a tankful by then, were difficult and need a 'kid gloves' approach. I got along with them by, just to do my best and any real trouble, let the MPs deal with it

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
No I've said already, Under present conditions I won't be going to the dental hygienist ever again. My point being, as the hygienist is a paid for appointment, I want to be allowed when booking, the choice of sitting upright in the chair and a non AGP of present day treatment.

No I've said already, Under present conditions I won't be going to the dental hygienist ever again. My point being, as the hygienist is a paid for appointment, I want to be allowed when booking, the choice of sitting upright in the chair and a non AGP of present day treatment.
If you are an NHS patient, you may find a hygienist willing to do as you ask but I suspect you will be offered what the NHS are willing to provide for the minimal amount you have to pay toward the cost.
If you are a private Patient, then you may be able to negotiate how you are treated, but you will have to pay the full cost.
All this is moot if you have decided not to go to a hygienist and there is bugger all any of us on this forum can do anyway.

Latest Threads