Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to the Dentist

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Good man...That's the Dental Corps I know. (In memory of the 1206th Dental Det, COL V** J. Stu***o Comdg. ;-) )
Just before lockdown, I found online 'The Museum of Military Medicine' and purchased a copy watercolour portrait of Sir William Kelsey Fry (1889-1963) (in uniform). Still looking for a suitable frame!

See my latest pic, doesn't look like much room in the tent for all that above...

Trailer mounted 2+3.5 Kva Gennys, towed behind the crew-equipment wagon. or in a permanent static location, power from a central source, (my job), 2+ 10kva Gennys. The ACC in the field used the same system, only they had No1 burners. Secondary tentage or wagon to house all other equipment. SOP.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

There is absolutely no evidence of any AGP going on there.

In fact it shows a remarkable similarity to the picture I posted.

Minimal tentage cover to allow maximum day light for lighting.
No drills or other equipment.

Dentist in uniform rather than any sort of clinical outfit.

Treatment appears to be an extraction in both cases.

In terms of recruitment shows exactly what to expect and can easily still be done. In order to be suitable in covid just needs a plastic apron!

wheel

LE
Well, I fully searched the 'Forums' here back and forth before I posted...I might be a new member, but have a long experience of other forums. Am I supposed to search 'threads' as well? (and I don't click on attachments or anything else to avoid being 'hacked')
Strange , then how come you managed to post on that thread twice. 8th and 9th June.

Your temperature will not be taken. Or it may not be taken anyway. Been working all trough this current period in Urgent Dental Care Centres and we have don't take temperatures . . .

Originally when we were not even doing AGPs, we split patients into red and green pathways, as elsewhere in health red for covid, green for non covid . . .
I'm happy with that . . . just provided NO-ONE is mentioning the "Liverpool pathway" . . . :( .

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
There is absolutely no evidence of any AGP going on there.

In fact it shows a remarkable similarity to the picture I posted.

Minimal tentage cover to allow maximum day light for lighting.
No drills or other equipment.

Dentist in uniform rather than any sort of clinical outfit.

Treatment appears to be an extraction in both cases.

In terms of recruitment shows exactly what to expect and can easily still be done. In order to be suitable in covid just needs a plastic apron!
Neither of the two pics look to me like an extraction going on, more like an examination.
My point was not to show AGP going on, rather the idea that a field station might have portable power and therefore AGP would not be the norm? Where would the quantities of potable water for AGP come from in the probable limited field surroundings? I hark back to my point about the foot treadle, perhaps kit for a 1950s field dental unit?

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Strange , then how come you managed to post on that thread twice. 8th and 9th June.
I chose 'Going to the Dentist' following the coronavirus lockdown to be 'Current Affairs'. IMO going to the dentist during present day emergency procedures is something of interest to us all, and deserves to be in a Current Affairs Forum. Whatever I have posted on 'that thread' is on another page/subject altogether!

wheel

LE
I chose 'Going to the Dentist' following the coronavirus lockdown to be 'Current Affairs'. IMO going to the dentist during present day emergency procedures is something of interest to us all, and deserves to be in a Current Affairs Forum. Whatever I have posted on 'that thread' is on another page/subject altogether!
You started this thread to ask about treatment during the current CV 19 crisis which is what the other tread is all about and you have posted on it before you started this thread. Yet you claim to have searched for such a thread but to no avail. Do tell your dentist what meds you are taking before any treatment takes place.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
You started this thread to ask about treatment during the current CV 19 crisis which is what the other tread is all about and you have posted on it before you started this thread. Yet you claim to have searched for such a thread but to no avail. Do tell your dentist what meds you are taking before any treatment takes place.

Fol-de-rol.
Who's that walking over my bridge etc.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
[/QUOTE=
Fair comment. (apart from the sarcastic end!) But I find when I go to 'Whats new' or 'New posts', only a few repeatedly come up, e.g., 'Do you Fancy some Ginger',' I'm A Poo Head, you're a Poo head', Scottish Politics, 'How Bone is your Missus etc, etc!

So with something to say, perhaps I've worked it out, the Best Bet is to start a new Forum, and after all, the main bar invites 'Start a new Forum' and surely, considering going to the dentist during the present virus must of course be 'Current Affairs'.

Last edited:

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Apart from all that, you appear to be concerned about visiting the dentist during the current pandemic situation. Are you registered with a dentist? Have you tried asking them?

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
I think we all experience as a patient that once we are laying down in the dentists chair, we don't have much of a chance to ask about present times emergency alternatives.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I think we all experience as a patient that once we are laying down in the dentists chair, we don't have much of a chance to ask about present times emergency alternatives.

Really? If I was booking an appointment with my dentist in the current times, the first thing I'd ask would be about additional precautions, both for me and for them, so I'd know what to expect.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Really? If I was booking an appointment with my dentist in the current times, the first thing I'd ask would be about additional precautions, both for me and for them, so I'd know what to expect.
My concern is not about 'additional precautions', its about what will be offered under emergency treatments.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
My concern is not about 'additional precautions', its about what will be offered under emergency treatments.

Why are you asking on here? Presumably that's up to the individual dentist I'd have thought. Why don't you discuss any personal concerns with your dentist if you're after treatment?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Of course there's always Community Dentistry. For people other GDP's don't want to treat for whatever reason.

Last edited:

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
I would have thought that all of us posting on this site are equal, yet the images of various 'medals' and names such as 'Swinger', 'Clanker', 'Old Salt', seem to me to be regarded by those with many 'medals' to have defer to the views those (many in numbers) 'LE' .Is 'LE' supposed to represent 'late enlisted'....'Officer'? e.g., (a recent reply) "Best to learn the how to use the quote function first", a more helpful post would have been a hint how to use 'Quote' Oh dear, now Ive got a big red cross against me,. Grow up!

Last edited:
As @StBob072 says, ask your dentist, not some random pixels on a military themed forum.
@Fang_Farrier is probably the best placed person on here to answer your questions as he is a puller of teeth, but as he practises in the land of Midges and is unlikely to be the person who would actually look in your gob, his advice can only be based on educated guesswork.

Latest Threads